Beginning March 2nd, 2020 the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state.
Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd. After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb
I've "rescued" an old photograph of John and Sarrah ROSS which was taken at
the Lenox Studio in Stephenville, TX sometime in the 1890's. The couple
appears to be in their 20's at the time the photograph was taken. Based on
limited research I was able to locate the following information regarding
John Harvey ROSS was b. 18 Feb 1876 in Erath Co., TX to parents Hiram Harvey
"Henry" ROSS (1838-1916) and Mary Elizabeth ANDERSON (1851-1905). John was
one of four children born to this couple including, James David; William
Eliphaz; John Harvey; and George Duff ROSS all born between 1871 and 1881.
John married Sarah Melissa CARMACK (1875-1957) on 22 Jul 1895 in Erath, TX
and together they had 8 children including, Ernest Claude; Eva or Era
Melissa; Roscoe Eiland; John Franklin; Clyde Harvey; Nelson Nichols; Irma
Jewel; and Marie Louise ROSS, all born between 1896 and 1916. John died 17
Nov 1940 in Corsicana, TX and is buried in the Oakwood Cemetery in
His wife Sarah Melissa CARMACK or CARMICK was b. 28 Jan 1875 in Texas to
parents Joseph Gatewood CARMACK (1841-1875) and Mary Elizabeth WISDOM
(1849-1928). She had one brother, Joseph Joe Crow CARMACK (1876-1928).
Sarah died 17 Jul 1957 in Navarro Co., TX and is buried in the Oakwood
Cemetery in Corsicana, TX. Their son Ernest C. ROSS was b. 11 Sept 1896 in
Stephenville, TX and died 11 Oct 1974 in Corsicana, TX.
Census records provide the following details:
1880 census of Llano Co., TX:
Harvey ROSS, age 42, Farming, born AR
Mary ROSS, wife, age 28, born TX, parents born TN
James ROSS, son, age 9, at Home, born TX
William ROSS, son, age 6, at Home, born TX
John ROSS, son, age 4, at Home, born TX
1900 census of Erath Co., TX:
John ROSS, age 23, born Feb 1877, married 5 years, born TX, parents born
AR/TX, a Farmer
Sarah M. ROSS, wife, age 25, born Jan 1875, married 5 years, 2 children/2
living, born TX, parents born MO
Earnest C. ROSS, son, age 3, born Sept 1896, born TX
Era M. ROSS, dau, age 1, born May 1899, born TX
1910 census of Erath Co., TX:
John H. ROSS, age 35, married 14 years, born TX, parents born AR/TX, a
Sarah M. ROSS, wife, age 35, married 14 years, 5 children/5 living, born TX,
father born TX
Earnest C. ROSS, son, age 13, born TX, a Farm Laborer
Eva M. ROSS, dau, age 12, born TX, a Farm Laborer
Rosco E. ROSS, son, age 9, born TX, a Farm Laborer
John F. ROSS, son, age 3, born TX
Clide H. ROSS, son, age 6 months, born TX
I am hoping to locate someone from this family so that the photograph can be
returned to the care of family. If you are a member of this family, or you
know someone who might be, please contact me.
Welcome to the TXERATH mailing list!!
PLEASE SAVE THIS INFORMATION so you have it for future reference.
PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE of your fellow list members. Some folks are beginners at computers and some to genealogy. The world is a better place when we are all patient with each other. Personal attacks, criticism, or flaming are never permitted.
HOW DO YOU POST? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT SHOULD YOU POST?
1. Questions about your ancestors. Give as much detail as you can.
2. Interesting history that is relevant to the list.
3. Genealogy and family history conferences, even if they charge for admission.
4. Genealogy societies should feel free to post about their society and their websites.
5. Book reviews of genealogy books are reasonable to post. A list of books is not, but sharing a good genealogy book you've found is a good idea.
6. Links to personal blogs that are about genealogy. They can be your blog or another. Even if the blog has ads, that is not a problem.
7. New collections on various genealogy sites that are relevant. We don't want advertisements, but if you find an interesting collection on Ancestry, FamilySearch, Library of Congress, or some other site that has relevance to the list, let people know.
WHAT SHOULD BE IN YOUR POST?
1. An informative but concise subject line.
2. When replying to a previous message, be sure to check that the intended recipient's address is showing in the Send To box of your email BEFORE clicking on SEND.
3. Proofread and be sure you want your post public. All posts go in the archives!
WANT TO UNSUBSCRIBE?
Send an email to email@example.com and put unsubscribe in the subject and body and nothing else.