On the RICHARDS of BURTON - Clockmakers and Restorers - web site at
are the following STEER entries
1. STEER John watchmaker Derby and 4 Market Street, Burton 1835-58 DC
2. STEER John High Street, Burton on Trent, listed in 1851 directory W.H.G&D.S. as an
In another 1851 directory at Stafford records Office STEER John is at Bond End
3. STEER John High Street, Burton Watch and clockmaker 1857 W.H.D.D.
4. STEER John 5/9/1862 Burton weekly news. Notice re Henry Steer (late John Steer)
watchmaker 19 High Street and at Derby, Established 1813.
5. STEER Henry 19 High Street, Burton jeweller and clockmaker 1868 K.C.P.O.D.S.
6. STEER Henry 19 High Street, Burton and at Derby 1870
The two candidates that I am aware of for these entries are
John STEER - March 1780 birth recorded in Derby Friar Gate Presbyterian, Derbyshire -
30.12.1856 died Derby, Derbyshire aged 76 and his son Henry STEER - 29.12.1831 baptised
Derby All Saints, Derbyshire
Entries 1 and 2 presumable relate to John and 4, 5 and 6 to Henry. I hope that Henry
continued to trade under his father's name, which would account for the 1857 entry.
Another of John's sons - James Hashold STEER - was living in Burton on Trent district
in Q2 1849 when the birth of his first son was registered. But when birth of his younger
son was registered in Q3 1850, he was back in Derby. James left the family business and
emigrated to South Africa in 1860.