Beginning March 2nd, 2020 the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state.
Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd. After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb
Hello everyone, I was looking at the microfilm of the Westerham Parish
register today but could not find three baptisms in it that are listed by
26 January 1845 Henry son of James & Mary STEAR
22 March 1846 George son of John & Phillis STEAR
15 August 1847 Martha daughter of James & Mary STEER
As Crockham Hill Holy Trinity Church was built 1842 but remained part of
Westerham St Mary Parish until 1863, I would suppose that they held
ceremonies at the church from 1842 to 1863 that were put in a day book
perhaps or Chapel register, and that were later entered in the Westerham
Can anyone confirm this? And is this where those three baptisms were held?
I also transcribed Marriages at Westerham St Mary from 1787 to 1878 if
anyone wants details. The microfilm was poor quality with some entries not
readable so I might have missed a few. A trip to Maidstone to view the
original register is needed for all early entries.
This William STEER/STEERE/STURE was buried in Loddiswell 17 January
1768. On 6 April 1715 he married Elizabeth KING in Loddiswell. I am
descended from the third child, Jane STEER, who married Thomas KING 16
December 1743 in Loddiswell.
Hoping someone might know who his parents might have been.
For anybody interested I have a little more information on Frances.
She and her husband William Shaw had a daughter Catherine Jane baptised
22nd February 1813 at Sutton Bonington, Nottinghamshire and another
daughter, Adelaide Louisa born 17th January 1816 at Tours, France and
baptised 20th June 1816 at Winchelsea, Sussex. (The baptism record says
that she was also baptised in Tours by the Rev. G.A. Lamb.). The French
birth record notes that Frances and William's normal abode is Sutton
The Sutton Bonington records do not show any other baptisms for children
of Frances and Catherine and no related burials are recorded there.
Likewise, the Tours, Indre et Loire, France records do not show any
other other baptisms and no related burials, except for William's
sister-in-law in 1836. I've also searched the records of parishes
immediately around Tours
If anyone has any later information about Frances and the children I'd
be most grateful,
Welcome to the STEER mailing list!!
PLEASE SAVE THIS INFORMATION so you have it for future reference.
PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE of your fellow list members. Some folks are beginners at computers and some to genealogy. The world is a better place when we are all patient with each other. Personal attacks, criticism, or flaming are never permitted.
HOW DO YOU POST? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT SHOULD YOU POST?
1. Questions about your ancestors. Give as much detail as you can.
2. Interesting history that is relevant to the list.
3. Genealogy and family history conferences, even if they charge for admission.
4. Genealogy societies should feel free to post about their society and their websites.
5. Book reviews of genealogy books are reasonable to post. A list of books is not, but sharing a good genealogy book you've found is a good idea.
6. Links to personal blogs that are about genealogy. They can be your blog or another. Even if the blog has ads, that is not a problem.
7. New collections on various genealogy sites that are relevant. We don't want advertisements, but if you find an interesting collection on Ancestry, FamilySearch, Library of Congress, or some other site that has relevance to the list, let people know.
WHAT SHOULD BE IN YOUR POST?
1. An informative but concise subject line.
2. When replying to a previous message, be sure to check that the intended recipient's address is showing in the Send To box of your email BEFORE clicking on SEND.
3. Proofread and be sure you want your post public. All posts go in the archives!
WANT TO UNSUBSCRIBE?
Send an email to email@example.com and put unsubscribe in the subject and body and nothing else.