From: "Terry Waters-Marsh"
Subject: [ZA-IB] Some good news - William REYNOLDS
One question I have not yet resolved is how William came to be transferred
from the 13th Dragoons which was posted in India to the Cape Cavalry in
South Africa in 1823. Any thoughts?
There was a large community of Anglo-Indians who settled at the Cape in
those years, after serving in the British military in India.
Here is an article I wrote in November 1999 for my newsletter.
The Anglo-Indians at the Cape
Many Britons immigrated to the Cape Colony when it became a permanent
British colony in 1815. The first major groups of settlers were Captain
MOODIEs in 1817 and the large group known as the 1820 British Settlers. A
little known group of British settlers are the Anglo-Indians.
The Anglo-Indians were the British civil and military men serving in the
Raj, Bengal, Madras and Bombay. From circa 1819, these men, and their
families, spent their long leave or sick leave at the Cape. The Capes
inhabitants referred to them as Hindoos. Most of them rented houses in
Wynberg. Quite a number of them retired to the Cape. Some of the retirees
went into business or farming.
Major Samuel PARLBY bought the Kleijne River Valley estate in the Caledon
district from Chief Justice Sir Johannes Andreas TRUTER in 1831. The
purchase was for 8000 hectares around present-day Stanford. PARLBY was born
in Boxted, Essex, England in 1789, the son of Rev. Samuel PARLBY. He joined
the Bengal Artillery in 1804 and first saw the Cape in 1806 when, while
enroute to India, he went ashore briefly with the invading British forces.
In 1831, on his way back to England to retire, he stopped off at the Cape
for 3 months and then decided to stay.
After buying his farm, he stocked it with fine cattle and merino sheep. He
also raised stud horses for racing and riding, as well as for remounts for
the British Army in India. He imported cotton, flax, millet, hops, wheat,
barley, oats and fruit seeds. At one stage, he imported poppy seeds but
this was not a successful crop. He was a member of the Cape Town and
Swellendam Agricultural Societies.
Not content with just farming, he also got involved in slave emancipation.
He often hosted visiting friends from India and Cape Town, including the
explorer Sir Andrew SMITH. In April 1838, he sold his farm to Captain
His first wife was a Javanese who died in 1816, leaving an only child John
Samuel (born 1814, died in Oudtshoorn in 1862). In 1831 he married Hester
VOWE (born 1808, died 1835) in Cape Town. Her tombstone can be seen at
Stanford (near Hermanus). After her death, and combined with financial
strains, he sold the farm. He moved to Green Point in 1839 after living at
Riversdale and taking trips to England. He later married Marian Emma MATHEW
(died 1871) in Rondebosch.
In 1839 he published a book Hints for Emigrants to the Cape in London. He
returned to England in 1850, where he died in 1878. His son John Samuel
remained at the Cape and farmed near Oudtshoorn.
Thomas Butterworth Charles BAYLEY, born in 1810 in England, was in the
Bengal civil service. His sister had married in Cape Town, Lord Charles
SOMERSET being a witness at the wedding. She died at the Cape.
In 1844 he bought Hartebeeste Kraal from Coenraad NELSON and renamed it The
Oaks. He renovated the original house. In 1859 the artist T.W. BOWLER was a
guest and he painted 6 water-colours of the house.
Thomas imported thoroughbred stallions and mares, Cleveland carriage
horses, Yorkshire half-breed horses, cattle (Ayrshires, Kerrys, Shorthorns,
Galloways) and sheep (French Merinos, Sturgeons, Dorriens). He was the
first Cape farmer to import iron ploughs, water pumps, seed drills and
other farming tools. He sent the ploughmakers, Howard & Sons of Bedford,
England, his suggestions for modifications, which led to the Colonial
model plough. He also imported seeds from Europe, India, the USA and Natal.
He employed the Scot Robert SMITH as his head gardener and forester.
Articles written by SMITH were published in the Cape Monthly Magazine in
1857. When BAYLEY left The Oaks, SMITH joined the Central Roads Board as an
overseer on the Cape Flats.
In 1855, an epidemic horse-sickness decimated the Cape horses and in 1856
BAYLEY sold his farm and stock to Michael VAN BREDA. He moved to a large
house in Wynberg and occupied himself with writing, committees and charity
work. He rode with the Cape Hunt, became a steward of the South African
Turf Club and promoted the Cape of Good Hope Agricultural Society,
introducing annual shows. He wrote articles for Indias Sporting Review
between 1845 and 1857. In 1856 he had a booklet published, Notes on the
horse-sickness at the Cape of Good Hope in 1854-55.
Thomas never married and when he died in 1871, his estate was worth £62000.
His books were left to the South African Library. His collection of
artworks was left to the South African Fine Arts Association and it later
became the founding collection of the South African National Gallery. He is
buried at St Johns Church in Wynberg.
Dr. James Ross HUTCHINSON was born in 1796 in Scotland. He served with the
Bengal Army for 20 years as a medical doctor, before retiring to the Cape.
In 1836 he was on sick leave at the Cape when he bought 10 farms east of
Palmiet River. Steenboks River (renamed Dunghye Park), Elias Gat (renamed
Glen Hart) and Kleijne Steenboks River were three of them. He moved into
Dunghye Park in November 1837 for a while. He returned to India in April
1842 and leased Dunghye Park to John METCALF for 5 years.
He also owned Belle Ombre in Constantia, where he spent his last 25 years.
He died there in 1870 and is buried on the estate. His properties were
bequeathed to his 3 brothers on condition that they live there. The
brothers declined and the properties were all sold. Dunghye Park was bought
by Matthijs (Thys) Johannes DE VILLIERS (born 1832, died 1924) and it
became a DE VILLIERS family farm. Dunghye Park then became known as
Donkiespad by the locals.
Captain John Duke JACKSON was born on 18 September 1781 in East Lexham,
Norfolk, England. He was the son of Thomas JACKSON, a farmer, and Mary
DUKE. He was baptised on 10 October 1784 at Greenwich, Kent. He joined the
Honourable East India Company as a midshipman at age 13. John was later
transferred to the Bombay Marine and his first voyage to India was in 1794.
He married Mary Anne FROST (born 27 August 1797 in London, daughter of
Bartholomew FROST and Marian DE CASALIS. Died 1882, buried at Korteshoven).
They were married at St Alfgeg, Greenwich. Their children were:
1) Marianne, born 1825 in Greenwich. Married Frederick METCALF of Voorhoede
on 06 May 1845 at Somerset West. She died in 1921 and is buried in Caledon.
2) Harriet Lautier, born in Norfolk
3) John Scafe, born 1830 in Norfolk. He married Hannah A. HODGSON. He was a
shopkeeper in Victoria West where he died on 28 July 1881.
4) Henry Duke, born 1831 at Houw Hoek. Married Carolina Maria Joubert
GADNEY (born 1844, daughter of John GADNEY and Geertruyda Maria Jacoba
SWART) on 01 January 1863. Their grandchildren carried on living at
5) Walter Hawkins, born 1833 at Houwhoek, died 1903 and is buried at
6) Edward Frost, born 1835. He built the stone werft and dam walls on
Dunghye Park, which are referred to as Jacksons dam. He married Sarah
Wilhelmina DELPORT on 09 January 1872.
7) Jessie Mary, born 1837
8) Maximilian James, born 03 July 1839, died 26 January 1923 in Cape Town,
buried at Korteshoven. He entered the Cape Civil Service in 1858 and was a
magistrate from 1868-1904. He had married Bertha BRINK on 04 April 1879
(her wedding gown was part of the Africana Museum collection in Johannesburg).
In March 1823 John retired to the Cape. His wife and 3 children remained in
Greenwich. He bought a house at 47 Castle Street and opened a seed and
saddler business at 1 Longmarket Street. In 1829 he returned to Greenwich
and brought his family to the Cape. In 1831 he bought land between Somerset
West and Gordons Bay. He tried to make a go of farming there but it proved
disastrous and he sold the farm in 1839. He had been staying in Houw Hoek
since 1831 and in 1839 he bought the farm Korteshoven from John SMITH. He
died at Korteshoven on 04 November 1856. The farmhouse is built in the Cape
Dutch style and a sailing ship is carved on one of the walls.
Lieutenant-Colonel William SHAW was born in 1790 in Scotland. He became a
cadet in the Madras Native Infantry in 1805. He married Lucy Maria PARRY
(born 1804, died 1886) in an Anglican ceremony at the NGK in Cape Town on
01 September 1827. They left for a final tour of duty in India and returned
to the Cape in 1833. They lived in Wynberg until August 1837. At some
stage, William left his wife in Wynberg and went to India to finalise his
retirement, returning in February 1837. In 1839 he bought the farm
Tryntjies River near Caledon. He renamed it Muirton after his family home
in County Inverness.
William bred merino sheep. He was appointed Justice of the Peace in the
Caledon district in 1840. He was a member of the Cape of Good Hope
Agricultural Society. In August 1848 the Anglican Bishop Robert GRAY spent
a few days at Muirton. William was on the fund-raising committee for the
building of Holy Trinity church in Caledon.
In 1860 William retired from farming. He moved back to Wynberg where he
bought Longwood House. He died there on 30 December 1869. The house was
demolished in the 1950s. William and Lucy had 11 children, including:
1) Jean Mackenzie, born 1851, died 1919. Married Bishop GRAYs diocesan
registrar, James Christopher DAVIDSON (Scot) in March 1867.
2) William, took over Muirton when his father retired to Wynberg. He was
also a Justice of the Peace.
3) Hector John, born 1838, died 1887. Was a chief engineer of Punjab and
later an adviser to the Cape government on railways and irrigation. Married
Margaret HOGG (Scot and a relative of Sir George GREY) in Madras in 1871.
4) Archibald Mitchell, died 1857.
Meent BORCHERDS was minister of the Stellenbosch NGK from 1786 to 1830. He
was married to Aletta Jacoba DE WIT, whose English grandfather had married
a Dutch woman at the Cape and was in the mercantile business. The DE WITs
offered accommodation to British soldiers stopping over at the Cape from or
on their way to India. After the British occupation of 1806, Stellenbosch
became a popular town with the soldiers.
On 21 May 1810 one of the BORCHERDS daughters, Johanna Titia, married
Robert BAYNES in the Stellenbosch NGK on 21 May 1810. BAYNES was a chaplain
in Bombay. The newly married BAYNES lived mostly in Bombay until Roberts
death circa 1838. Johanna returned to the Cape. She died on 20 February
1854 at her house in Buitenkant and was buried in Stellenbosch. Three of
her sisters also married India soldiers.
Henrietta Maria (born 10 May 1797) married Charles ROBINSON at Stellenbosch
on 07 September 1828. Charles was a doctor in Calcutta. He settled in the
Cape where he died on 16 June 1835. Henrietta died in Stellenbosch on 07
Catharina Johanna (born 10 Dec 1799) married Charles SMITH of the Bengal
Civil Service circa 1824. He was born in 1787 and died in Cape Town on 02
January 1854. He was buried at Maitland Cemetery. Catharina died on 14 Aug
Petronella Jacoba (born 04 Mar 1802) married Captain James ROBINS of the
Madras Native Infantry on 02 October 1823. He was born in London in 1790.
He was a midshipman on Lord NELSONs ship at Trafalgar and hoisted the flag
signal England expects every man to do his duty. He transferred to the
Indian Army. After their marriage they went to Holland for the rest of his
leave. They settled in Holland at some stage, where James died.
One of Meent BORCHERDS sons, Petrus (born 08 July 1786), lived in
Claremont and later in Wynberg. Some of his daughters married India men.
Aletta Jacoba (born 30 Mar 1807) married Captain George Bridges Plantaganet
FIELD of the Bengal Native Infantry on 07 September 1822. FIELD was born in
1789 into an aristocratic English family. He was court martialled and
discharged from the Army. The couple settled in Calcutta. Aletta died there
of cholera at the age of 33. FIELD died in 1861.
Another of Petruss daughters, Johanna Titia (born 06 April 1815), married
George EVELEIGH on 15 May 1838. He was from London and a doctor in
Calcutta. He retired to the Cape and became Medical Officer at Riversdale,
then District Surgeon at Simonstown and Swellendam. The couple then moved
to England. George died circa 1886 and Johanna returned to the Cape. She
lived with one of her brothers in Wynberg where she died on 25 May 1896.
Yet another daughter, Wilhelmina Hendrina (born 08 Mar 1819), married John
Whitley STOKES at St Georges Church, Cape Town on 15 Dec 1841. John was
born in Ireland on 06 June 1819 and was a Lieutenant in the Madras Native
Infantry. Their son was born in Nov 1842 and was baptised at St Georges in
March 1843. In April that year, the family left for leave in Britain. When
they returned they stayed at the widow WRANKMOREs hotel at 4 Burg Street,
which was very popular with India soldiers. John died there on 03 Nov 1844.
He was buried in the Somerset Road NGK cemetery. Wilhelmina went to live
with her parents in Claremont and later Wynberg. She died in Claremont on
18 March 1878.
There were many more BORCHERDS married to India soldiers.
Pieter Lourens CLOETE (born 15 Jan 1764, died 1837) married Maria Catharina
VAN REENEN on 26 Aug 1787. Their daughter, Catharina Maria (born 1798, died
1877) first married Joseph LUSON on 24 March 1817. It was an Anglican
ceremony at the NGK in Heerengracht. Joseph was born in London in 1783 and
was a clerk with the East India House before being transferred to Cape Town
in 1808. He died on 17 January 1822. She then married Pieter Gerhard BRINK
on 21 Feb 1831.
Pieters son, Abraham Josias (born 07 Aug 1794, died 26 Oct 1886 in London)
was an officer in the British Army and was later knighted. Another
daughter, Sophia Florentia Jacoba (born 1802) married Evelyn Meadow GORDON
of the Bengal Army on 25 April 1829. There were many more CLOETE marriages
to India men.
Dictionary of South African Biography, HSRC
South African Genealogies, Heese & Lombard, HSRC
Overberg odyssey, E.H. Burrows, 1994, ISBN 0620187808
Copyright 1999 Anne Lehmkuhl
Article written for and published in Generations - A South African
South African genealogy without borders: http://www.rupert.net/~lkool/