Contact list owner
Wigtownshire is in Galloway, the most southwest part of Scotland. The parishes of Wigtownshire are Glasserton, Inch, Kirkcolm, Kirkcowan, Kirkinner, Kirkmaiden, Leswalt, Mochrum, New Luce, Old Luce (Glenluce), Penninghame, Portpatrick, Sorbie, Stoneykirk, Stranraer, Whithorn, and Wigtown. Additional information can be found at the Wigtownshire message board (http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.britisles.scotland.wig.general/mb.ashx) and at the Wig List's companion webpage: The Wigtownshire Pages (https://sites.rootsweb.com/~ainsty/).
Wigtownshire is in Galloway, the most southwest part of Scotland. The parishes of Wigtownshire are Glasserton, Inch, Kirkcolm, Kirkcowan, Kirkinner, Kirkmaiden, Leswalt, Mochrum, New Luce, Old Luce (Glenluce), Penninghame, Portpatrick, Sorbie, Stoneykirk, Stranraer, Whithorn, and Wigtown. Additional information can be found on The Wigtownshire Pages at https://sites.rootsweb.com/~ainsty/.
The purpose of this list is to discuss family genealogy specifically related to Wigtownshire. Also welcome is information regarding the history of the Wigtownshire area as well as discussions about migration, heraldry, census data, wills, family Bibles, other vital records, and supporting web sites. It's a great way to meet others with similar research interests, and you may even find some cousins! The Wigtownshire list is all about subscribers helping each other out.
Even if you are not a newcomer to genealogy, certain advice applies. Our list is a very friendly group, so don't be a lurker. We welcome you to join us and participate in our discussions. When you first post a message, introduce yourself as a new subscriber. Then tell us something about your ancestors. The more information you post, no matter how trivial, the better. It may be of great interest to others, and some may quite possibly be able to help with your specific research.
To post a message to the list, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Rootsweb will forward it to each of our subscribers. When replying to a list post, make sure you address it properly. email@example.com will send it to everyone while using just the poster's address will keep your response private.
PLEASE READ THESE WIGTOWNSHIRE LIST TIPS AND GUIDELINES:
* Please bookmark https://lists.rootsweb.com/postorius/lists/sct-wigtownshire.rootsweb.com/. This page provides instructions for subscribing and unsubscribing, browsing and searching our archives, and contacting the list admins.
* The SCT-WIGTOWNSHIRE list owner is Mary Richardson, assisted by Crawford MacKeand and Bruce McDowall. All can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The subject line is the most important part of your message as it attracts the attention of those who may be able to help you. Especially since your message will be archived and accessible by future researchers, do not make your subject ambiguous. For instance, "new lister" or "new interests" or Re: SCT-WIGTOWNSHIRE Digest, Vol n, Issue nnn will catch no one's attention. Be specific; "name / date / location" as in "Henry McKie / 1762 / Stranraer" is always good.
* Your message should include as many specifics as possible: parish, dates, children, spouse, etc., and any other records that you have found. The more you include, the more you may help listers from repeating your research.
* Before replying to a post, all extraneous text and administrivia (headers, footers, etc.) should be removed.
* Rootsweb's Wigtownshire Message Board (http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.britisles.scotland.wig.general/mb.ashx) is no longer gatewayed to our list. This means that posts to the message board are NOT forwarded to our list as they were in the past.
* Though Rootsweb guarantees that all messages posted on its lists are virus free, every list subscriber's computer must have an up-to-date anti-virus program installed. This protects everyone when posts evolve to private exchanges. If you are not sure how to do this, please contact your local internet service provider.
* Messages regarding viruses, worms, trojans, and hoaxes, including any warnings and any further ongoing discussions of such are OFF TOPIC and NOT ALLOWED. Information about current infections is readily available online. If you need further assistance, contact the list administrators privately at
* Rootsweb converts all posts to plain text and prohibits attachments and graphics. If you want to send an attachment, get permission from the recipient and send it privately. If you ever receive an unexpected or unauthorized attachment from anyone, just DELETE it. DO NOT OPEN it or take any other action.
* DO NOT post test messages, warning messages, chain letters, political announcements, current events, recipes, or items for sale. If you think, however, that some such message may be appropriate, please send it instead to email@example.com, so it can be reviewed for possible posting.
* Messages regarding commercial advertising and/or fundraising are NOT allowed!!
* No rude comments or flaming will be tolerated on this list.
* It is never a good idea to post personal information for anyone who is alive. If you wish to share phone numbers, addresses, etc., do so privately.
* If at any time you have a problem related to another member regarding his or her messages or topics, CONTACT THE LIST OWNER, not the list: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We wish you the very best of luck in your search for further information about your Wigtownshire family and ancestors.