Many of you may be unaware that RootsWeb has a new World Connect Project,
that has millions of names in it so far. RootsWeb has pledged to never
charge for access to it, and to never burn the info onto a CD to sell.
Those contributing their GEDCOM info can add to the info later, or delete
or correct into later. The info on any name is linked to a page showing
the name & email address of the person who contributed, along with the date
on which that person last updated it.
I finally got a Round Tuit on looking at what is there so far, today. Among
the 316 listings so far for the exact spelling of Poythress, I saw
- an entry for Leroof Poythress;
- an entry for an early marriage between a Poythress and a Baird;
- an entry for the marriage of John Poythress & Dorothy Randle Bayne
- an entry for Nathaniel Harper Poythress who married Rachael Flake
- an entry for Martha Ann Poythress who married Glee Edwin Bridges
- a number of entries for Poythress folks from Meridian, Mississippi,
posted by a fellow named Speed
- a number of entries for Poythress folks in Wilson Co, NC
and of course LOTS of entries for the earliest Poythress folks in this
country who hooked into various families (Bland, Randolph, Peebles, Coggin,
Batte, Worsham?, Eppes, Bolling, Wynne, Robertson, Hardyman, and on and on
I also checked the spelling of Portress, and found only one listed: Nancy
Ann Portress who married Willoughby Hammack, which listed dates and their 8
children. I checked several other alternate spellings, but certainly not
all the possibilities.
None of the contributors' names were folks who I recognized from our
Poythress List, but then I don't know who all the List's subscribers are
these days. For those of you who are interested in hooking up with folks
who know your ancestors' names from their marrying into other family lines
that they are researching, you could benefit from gaining additional
information from them.
At the site, there are instructions for those interested in submitting
their own GEDCOM, too.