Based on weekly and monthly reports I get from the search engines..
There are best results to obtain:
The BEST Results?? Be mindful - all lists are always "SURNAME, given name"
Three best ways with QUOTEMARKS "
1. "Surname, " (put a space after , then ")
2. "Surname, given name" (don't bother to try for middle name (middle
names produce poor results)
3. ", Mary" - will work if you are not sure of married name but will
produce a LOT of results!
1. Don't bother trying without quotemarks, you get more unwamted results.
2. Don't try county name, just go to the county list and you get more
3. Don't try state name, just go to the state in question and browse.
4. Don't try these words - probate, guardianship, etc. Just go to
appropriate sections. You get better results.
Westchester County Genealogical Society (NY) Upcoming Meeting
WHAT: Joe Schiavone with a talk on The Ol' Put: History of the Putnam
Division of the New York Central
WHEN: Saturday, Nov 13 @ 10 a.m.
WHERE: The meeting opens at 10:00 a.m. at the Aldersgate United Methodist
Church, 600 Broadway, Dobbs Ferry, NY.
Joe Schiavone, railroad historian and author of two books – “The Old Put”
and "More of The Old Put" will takes us on an entertaining trip into the
past. The Putnam Division Railroad wended its way from the Bronx to Putnam
County. During part of this program, we will be viewing two vintage motion
pictures depicting the trains and the picturesque stations that once were dotted
along the tracks. You don't have to be a train enthusiast to enjoy this
Guests are welcome. Coffee and conversation precede the meeting at 9:30
For information about Westchester County Genealogical Society
(Westchester Connection or Surname List), visit WCGS home page --
Hope to see you on Saturday!!
RESERVED THESE DATES FOR WCGS FUTURE MEETINGS
Dec 11, 2010
Finding People, Living or Dead, on the Internet
Dr Nathan Reiss
Jan 8, 2011
The New York Catholic Protectory
Professor Janet Munch
Feb 12, 2011
Navigating Key Genealogy Websites
Mar 12, 2011
The Journey Takers
Leslie Albrecht Huber
Apr 9, 2011
New York City Vital Records
May 14, 2011
Exploring the 1940 US Census
June 11, 2011
Controlling Your Genealogy Computer Files