Can anyone advise as to what (if any) records exist pre 1841 census for Nottingham?
I am trying to trace the history/location of Samuel & Alice Bostock (man & wife)
during the period 1780 & 1841.
What I know is as follows:
1. Both show on census 1841 & 1851 Nottingham in Promfet Street.
2. Samuel born 1776-80 Notts/Derby - died Feb 1857 Nottm.
3. Alice born 1780-1785 Ireland - died Oct 1852 Nottm.
4. Son James born circa 1803 Dublin Ireland died 1869 Nottm and on census 1841-51-61 in
5. Son James married July 1825 Nottm and his subsequent children all baptised in St
Barnabas RC church.
6. Son Samuel jnr (my ancestor) born abt 1812 (not sure if in Nottm or Ireland - census
1841 shows as born Ireland but subsequent ones (1851-91 show as Nottm..??) and died Jan
From the above I deduce that Alice (and probably Samuel snr) where in
Ireland circa 1803 (son James' birth) and were probably back in Nottm by 1825 (son
I can find no trace of the marriage of Samuel & Alice or their birth. However I have
found the baptism of a Samuel Bostock Oct 1779 in Ilkeston which could fit the bill both
on date and location (I believe that Ilkeston may have moved between Notts and Derbyshire
in the mid 1800's which could explain Samuel's birth place shown as Notts 1841
census and Derbyshire 1851 census..??)
In short the period 1780-1841 is a gap as far as my records go but I do seem to recall
something about other Nottm records (Watch Lists, etc) perhaps covering this period which
Can anyone advise..??
We want to hear all your funny, exciting and crazy Hotmail stories. Tell us now