The latest issue of the Catholic FHS journal “Catholic Ancestor” has
information about the Nugent Care organisation. This was (and is) the
central organisation for the Catholic social care services in the
Archdiocese of Liverpool. Its origins are in the mid-1800s when Fr.
James Nugent dedicated his life in Liverpool to caring for children in
need. His work eventually provided residential accommodation, schools,
industrial schools, care homes and hospitals.
The historic records of this organisation have been transferred to the
Sheppard-Worlock Collection at Hope University, Liverpool, and have been
indexed. The collection is open to readers but as it is a special
collection an appointment is required, see
Another useful source is in the Liverpool Record Office. Lists of names
of children assisted by the Nugent Society have been deposited in this
Record office and are available for consultation.
Today, the Archdiocese of Liverpool includes the Hundreds of West Derby
and Leyland, but prior to the formation of the Diocese of Lancaster (ca
1935) it also included all the northern Hundreds of Lancashire,
Amounderness and Lonsdale South and North of the Sands.
Hope this helps,
Jim Lancaster (Bury, Lancs.)