SINGLETON, George S., Orleans then St. Landry Parish, Louisiana
Submitted by Mike Miller
Source: Southwest Louisiana Biographical and Historical, Biographical
Date: 28 Oct 1998
USGENWEB NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be
reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any
other organization or persons. Persons or organizations
desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent
of the contributor, or the legal representative of the
submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with
proof of this consent. Files may be printed or copied for
personal use only.
GEORGE S. SINGLETON, BAYOU CHICOT.--Mr. Singleton is a native of
Louisiana, born in 1859. He grew to manhood and received his education
in the city of New Orleans. He is the son of C. B. and Anna E.
Singleton, natives of St. Landry parish, Louisiana, and Maryland,
respectively. C B. Singleton is an active lawyer in New Orleans, where
he has practised [sic] his profession for a number of years.
Young George S. Singleton received the best educational advantages
afforded in the schools of Louisiana, and, in 1867, he went to Europe,
where he pursued his studies until 1871, when he returned to New
Orleans, and was there engaged in business until 1875, when he removed
to St. Landry parish to take charge of his father's plantation, which is
one of the finest and most productive in the parish.
Mr. Singleton is united in marriage with Miss Clementine Phelps, a
native of St. Mary parish, Louisiana, and daughter of N. H. and
Clementine Phelps. Her father is a native of Connecticut and her mother
Mr. Singleton is undoubtedly one of the busiest men, as well as the most
successful, in St. Landry parish. The operation of his immense
plantation requires his full attention, and his success is due to the
untiring energy which he manifests in its management. Mr. Singleton and
wife are the parents of six children: Chas. F., Ellen C., William E.,
Ellen H., Clementine G. and George L.
Southwest Louisiana Biographical and Historical, Biographical Section,
pp. 79-80. Edited by William Henry Perrin. Published in 1891, by The
Gulf Publishing Company.