WARD, S. P., M. D.; IND., then St. Landry Parish, Louisiana
Submitted by Mike Miller
Source: Southwest Louisiana Biographical and Historical, Biographical
Date: 28 Oct 1998
USGENWEB NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be
reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any
other organization or persons. Persons or organizations
desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent
of the contributor, or the legal representative of the
submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with
proof of this consent. Files may be printed or copied for
personal use only.
S P. WARD, M. D., BIG CANE.--Dr. Ward, a prominent physician of St.
Landry parish, was born in Rising Sun, Indiana, August 28, 1825. He is
a son of Aaron and Martha Ward, natives of Newark, New Jersey. They
were married in Newark, and resided there for a number of years, when
they removed to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. A few years after they removed
to Rising Sun, Indiana. After residing there about two years they
removed to Canton, Illinois, where they both died. Aaron Ward was in
his younger days a merchant. After he removed to Illinois he turned his
attention to farming, in which he was very successful, leaving at his
death his children a competency on which to begin life.
The subject of our sketch is the youngest of a family of seven children.
He received his early training in the schools of Canton, Illinois,
subsequently taking a collegiate course. He afterward pursued a course
of medicine at Cincinnati, graduating after having taken three courses
of lectures. He holds, also, a diploma from the Medical Lyceum of
Cincinnati. While in Cincinnati, during the cholera scourge, he made
this disease a special study. In 1848 he came to Baton Rouge,
Louisiana, and commenced the practice of his profession. Here he
remained eight years. In 1860 he located in St. Landry, where he has
since had a very extensive practice. Though he devotes his time almost
exclusively in the practice of his profession, Dr. Ward also
superintends the operation of a large plantation which he owns at this
place. He is a distinguished member and corresponding secretary of the
State Medical Society; also a member of other medical societies in the
State. He has been prominently identified with the Masonic order since
1853, having held some office in the lodge during the whole of this
time. He is also a member of the chapter.
The Doctor has always taken an active part in political affairs, using
his influence at all times to place in office the best men.
In 1856 he married Harriet A. Waters, daughter of Capt. Wm. Waters, of
Alexandria, to whom were born six children, three of whom are now
living. Both the Doctor and his wife are members of the Methodist
Episcopal church, in which he is steward and Sunday-school
Southwest Louisiana Biographical and Historical, Biographical Section,
pp. 90-91. Edited by William Henry Perrin. Published in 1891, by The
Gulf Publishing Company.