Beginning March 2nd, 2020 the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state.
Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd. After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb
Thanks to Alinda Miller and Fred Westcott for replying.
Descendants of Thomas CARTER
1. Thomas CARTER b. Oct. 08, 1786 in Orange County, VA. d. June 18, 1865 in Owen County, KY.
Marriage 1: Catherine THOMAS m. Mar. 12 1812. b. Jan 3 1792 in KY d. Aug 1, 1849 Owen County, KY.
Marriage 2: Catherine Maddox m. Mar. 31, 1852 in Owen County, KY. b. May 7, 1816 in Henry County, Ky
d. May 10, 1885 in Owen County, KY. Widow of R.L. THOMAS.
Ch. of Thomas CARTER and Catherine THOMAS:
1. dau. CARTER b. abt. 1813 d. ? m. Douglas RIGG bet. 1832-1833.
2. Parthenia C. CARTER b. Oct 3, 1814 d. Oct. 18, 1854. m. Francis V. THOMAS Aug. 1, 1831. b. Feb. 14, 1811 d. Oct. 16 1893.
3. Winefred CARTER b. Jun 6, 1818 d. ? m. Roger Tandy QUISENBERRY June 12, 1834, son of James QUISENBERRY and Lucy THOMAS. b. abt. 1818 d. Oct. 30, 1892 in Winchester (Clark Co) KY.
4. Spencer CARTER (Rueben may be first name, not documented yet) b. 1819 d. Dec. 19, 1890. m. Elizabeth SPENCER May 27, 1840 in Anderson Co. KY. b. abt 1820 d. Oct 18, 1902.
5. Cynthia CARTER b. Jan 4, 1823 do. Jan 30, 1888. m. Robert LONG Nov 14, 1838. b. July 20, 1818 d. July 4, 1889.
6.Jordan R. CARTER b. Sep 27, 1824 d. Nov 26, 1880 m. Amanda THOMAS Mar 5, 1846 dau/o Joseph THOMAS and Winifred SPENCER. b. Sep 20, 1829 d. Dec 9, 1897.
7. Susan Jane CARTER b. July 4, 1825 d. Apr 6 1919 m. 1. Wesley ROWLETT Mar 24, 1842, son of Joseph ROWLETT and Lucinda BLACKWELL. b. abt 1830. m. 2 George W. SMITHER July 19, 1848 b. 1829 d. 1880.
8. Joseph D. CARTER b. abt. 1831 m. Almeda HAWKINS Apr. 27, 1854 Stepfather Joseph THOMAS, mother Rhoda HAWKINS. b. abt. 1839.
9.James Madison CARTER b. Dec 16, 1832 d. Jan 31, 1912 m. Sarah W. THOMAS Aug. 31, 1855 dau/o Joseph THOMAS and Winifred SPENCER b. July 27, 1836 d. Feb 23, 1912.
10. Mary Francis CARTER b. Dec 19, 1834 d. Aug. 28, 1876 m. Francis A. THOMAS Jan 19, 1854, son/o Joseph THOMAS and Winifred SPENCER. b. May 1, 1832 d. Nov 24, 1907.
11. Douglas R. CARTER b. Mar 16, 1837 d. July 28, 1872. m. Mary F. SUTER Oct. 29, 1862 b. abt. 1845.
12. Elizabeth Catherine CARTER b. Nov 26, 1840 m. Anthony THOMAS Apr 3, 1855 son/o Robert THOMAS and Cynthia ?. b. Mar 4, 1834 d. Apr 11, 1882.
Children of Thomas CARTER and Catherine MADDOX:
13. Eliza F. CARTER b. Aug 7, 1854 m. John W. Matthews, son/of Ellis MATTHEWS. b. Aug. 1851
14. Arvena CARTER b. Dec 7, 1855 d. Mar 4, 1913 m. Squire Warren JONES, son/of William JONES and Jane HARTFORD. b. Jan 13, 1853 Henry Co. KY d. June 27, 1920.
Unless I stated other counties, all events occurred in Owen County, Ky. I have sources to back up my info and also have much more info on these people and also many more generations but am still researching and trying to fill in the blank spots. I also am trying to find out the parents of Thomas CARTER and Catherine THOMAS. I have 2 sources that indicate that Thomas's full name may have been Joseph Thomas CARTER. On his marriage certificate to Catherine MADDOX he was J. Thomas CARTER and on James Madison CARTER's death certificate his parents were listed as Joe CARTER and Catherine THOMAS.
Carol Sue CARTER RULEY
I have just recently joined the Owen Co. mailing list. My ancestors are:
Thomas Carter b. 10/8/1786 VA d. 6/18/1865 Owen Co. Wife #1 Catherine Thomas b. 1/3/1792 KY d. 8/1/1849 Owen Co.
Thomas and Catherine had 12 children that I know of.
Son,Spencer Carter b. 1819 Owen co. d. 12/19/1890 Owen Co wife Elizabeth Spencer b. abt. 1820 and died 10/18/1902 are my ancestors.
My line continues with Thomas Carter m. Sally Taylor.
I have quite a lot of information on these lines.
I cannot get any info back further than Thomas Carter 1786/1865.
I get the feeling that Catherine Thomas is related to Spencer Thomas and John Thomas but cannot connect.
I also cannot find a breakthrough on Elizabeth Spencer. I know that Spencer Carter and Elizabeth Spencer were married in Anderson Co. KY.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Carol Sue Carter Ruley