Taken from the History of Nicholas County, Kentucky; pg. 132.
A. A. Mulligan ran the Flora Post Office and General Store from 1904-1926 at Goose Creek.
It was named for Thomas J. Flora who opened the post office on Mar. 01, 1892 and ran it
before Mulligan. Charles C. C. Conyers was postmaster from 1926-1928. Okie F. Green ran it
from May 01 to Aug. 31, 1928. at which time it was closed. Mail for the area was then
routed to Myers Post Office. The old Flora building burned in 1952, at which time it was
at least 90 years old and probably older. When the post office closed in 1928, the
building became a residence until it burned.
Mulligan's son, Arthur Mulligan, taught at the Goose Creek School, which is now the
residence of Walter Bromagen. Some other teachers at Goose Creek were Nannie Flora Smoot
and Meredith Thompson.
During the early 1900's the Huckster Wagon was a source of delight to all, especially
the children. It came often selling material, sugar and spice and other things nice.
Goose Creek, named for it's creek, had a special water hole, recalls Joe Frank Conley,
located on his grandfather George Lewis Carter's farm. The boys would go here to swim
and as far as anyone remembers, and maybe because of Women's Lib had not started yet,
no woman ever invaded this masculine retreat.
The Carter's settled in this area before 1877, because the church records list George
Lewis Carter as a deacon that year. The farm remains in the Carter family, now owned by
Marion Donovan, another grandson of George Lewis Carter. It is now called Donovan II.
As a child, starting around 1914, Joe Frank Conley vividly remembers riding the train
often from Carlisle to Myers Station, and then riding with the mailman to Goose Creek to
visit his grandparents. First thing he would do was get a dozen eggs at the farm, and go
to the Flora General Store to trade for stick candy, bell-shaped chocolate pieces, gum
drops, crackers or cheese- whichever was most appealing that particular day.
No church was ever erected at Goose Creek.