Contact list owner
Welcome! We're glad you've joined us in our quest to find our relatives.
**PLEASE KEEP A COPY OF THIS MESSAGE for future reference, in fact, we recommend printing this!
The KEIM MAILING LIST is an email list for genealogical research with discussions of Genealogy and History, primarily regarding KEIM, with all its variations, and related families.
Discussion of migration patterns, immigration, historical sketches,
heraldry, settlements, census data, wills, family Bibles, vital records, websites, etc., as relates to the KEIM family and its various branches is encouraged as well as discussion of collateral families.
GUIDELINES (advertising, copyrights, archives, ETC.)
1. Technically, RootsWeb has a "no commercial use" policy. Like all RootsWeb policies, the last thing that we want is for policy to get in the way of our doing genealogy. Therefore, one time public announcements of interest to genealogists in general is permitted, but please use discretion. In case of doubt, send the message to a list administrator for review.
2. Please do not submit virus warnings, test messages, chain letters, political announcements, current events, items for sale, personal messages, etc., to the list. For information on virus hoaxes and urban legends see: http://www.vmyths.com/
3. Attachments (appended files) may not be shared on RootsWeb lists. If you forget and send one with a post, it will be returned to you along with a message reminding you about RootsWeb's "no attachments" policy.
If you have a file you would like to share with other subscribers, announce what you have to offer, then send the file only to those who request it via private email.
4. In sending posts to the list, you grant RootsWeb permission to distribute copies of the message to other list members, to store archival copies of the message, and to make the archival copies available to the internet community at large.
5. Vulgarity and personal attacks on other list members are unwelcome. We maintain a "no tolerance" policy for flaming. For definitions of flaming and related information see
6. Don't send messages exceeding 8 kilobytes in length. Send these privately as explained in #3 above.
7. Do not impose any other rules or conditions upon this list. Guidelines of other forums may not necessarily apply here. If you do not like the way someone formats their queries or responses, or the content of their subject titles, take it up with the listowner. The list is for Genealogy and History.
1. Please send KEIM replies to the list, not just to the original poster. Other members may benefit from the data.
2. You can use lowercase lettering, it doesn't matter, but many folks find using CAPS advantageous; it helps your names stand out. If you choose to use caps, we do suggest that you use CAPS for only the surnames in your queries.
3. When posting a query try to give as much information as known, i.e. dates and places of vital events, along with enough other family members so that the reader can positively identify if they are researching the same family. If you want to review the essentials of a good query, see "How to Write a Successful Query" at:
4. When replying to the list (this can apply to private replies, also), quote a portion of the previous message so the receiver is reminded of the "thread". DON'T REPEAT THE WHOLE MESSAGE, just enough so they know what the message is in reference to. Make it clear what is quoted material and what you are adding.
5. Post your "brick walls" frequently, perhaps once a month, and occasionally post portions of your family line. New people are joining the list all the time and they may have the info you need.
6. Remember... not everyone will want the data on your line. Share only a couple generations at a time; lengthy posts tend to lose a reader's full attention!
7. Try to use helpful subject lines like "John DOE d. 1800 in MD", rather than a generic one like "inquiry about my family line".
Good Luck & Have Fun!
Cindy Kimes firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer List Administrator
Diana Davis email@example.com
Volunteer List Assistant