Denis Tully, b ca 1799, of Co Longford, was a brother of Patrick Tully (ca 1801-1883) who married Ann Fox. Patrick was the father of Terence J. Tully of Bismarck ND, Denis Tully of Brooklyn NY and Michael P. Tully of Newton NJ. See the archives of this mailing list for information on them.
DENIS TULLY, b ca 1799 Ireland, d ca 1883 Claremont, Sullivan Co NH, bur St. Mary's Cem, Claremont. Married in Ireland Brigid or Bridget CASSIDY (dates unknown). Denis was the son of Terence Tully and Mary Dorris (ca 1774-1858) of Ballinamuck, County Longford, Ireland. Denis immigrated before the 1880 census. No indication has been found that Brigid came to this country.
In the list below, Annie Tully Sheridan and Mary Tully Heslin of Claremont are proven by their death records to be children of Denis. His daughter Catherine is added in from the Ballinamuck baptismal register. Annie seems likely to be the same Anne Sheridan who was the sister of Rose Tully Monaghan and Michael Tully of New York City and James Tully of Ireland. Rose, Michael and James may be - but are not proven to be - Denis' children.
THIS LIST OF PROVEN AND ASSUMED DESCENDANTS OF DENIS TULLY IS NOT COMPLETE. The total number of Denis' children is not known. It is not known exactly when Denis immigrated before 1880.
1. Rose Tully, b ca 1820 Ireland, d New York City 21 Dec 1887, m in Ireland before 1846 Patrick Monaghan. Widow by 1876. Ran boardinghouse at 220 Spring St., New York City. Left will naming daughter Mary McArdle her sole heir. Will witnessed by James McArdle of 220 Spring St. He declared he had known Rose for 16 years before her death. His relationship to Mary is not known. Mary's death record shows her mother's maiden name as Rose Tully, but Rose's death record shows her parents' names as John and Ann Leary.
11 Mary Monaghan, b ca 1846 Ireland, d 4 Nov 1903 Manhattan NY, m McArdle.
2. Michael Tully, b ca 1820, m Mary Shields, b Aug 1819 Ireland. Michael filed declaration of intention for citizenship on 13 Sep 1859. His naturalization on 19 Oct 1876 was witnessed by John Tully, presumably his oldest son by that name. Address on 1880 census and on naturalization paper was 252 W. 19th St., NYC. Mary was a widow by 1900, living with widowed daughter Annie C. Haley. Mary's year of immigration is listed as 1850. Census taker noted in 1880 that she had a broken wrist. Children John, Annie, Maria/Mary, James, Matthew. All children apparently b NY, although 1860 census shows John b Ireland.
21 John Tully, b ca 1855, died before 1905. On the 1880 census it's noted that he's lame, occupation tobacco stripper.
22 Annie C. Tully, b ca 1857, d Bronx 4 May 1922, m Manhattan NY 20 Apr 1882 William Henry Haley, b ca 1846 NY, d 1896-1900.
221 Mary E. Haley, b ca May 1883, living at 103 W 183rd St., NYC, in 1941. Telephone operator supervisor.
222 Edith Haley, b 20 Sep 1891, d 6 Jun 1894
223 Harry Wadsworth Haley, b 19 Jul 1896 (per NYC birth record), d 14 Dec 1945 Queens NY, m at Elham, Kent, England, 1920 Dorothy Lillian "Lily" Cox. In April of 1912, giving his age as 18 years and 9 months, he enlisted at Fort Slocum NY in Co D, 17th Infantry. He was described as a laborer, with blue eyes, dark brown hair, dark complexion, and 5' 6 1/2" tall. He was discharged 1 Feb 1914 at Fort McPherson GA. On 2 Mar 1917 at Shorncliffe, Kent, England, Harry (alias George Martin) joined the Canadian Reserve Cavalry of the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force. Occupation machinist, born 19 Jul 1894 NYC, next of kin "Miss May Martin (sister)" of 1799 Cedar Ave., Bronx NY. Not married. In US Cavalry for 3 years. Handwritten amendments to the typed in form show name as "Harry Wadsworth Haley, alias George Martin", Next of Kin: wife, Mrs. Haley, 8 Lower Sandgate Rd., Folkestone. Married with permission.
23 Maria or Mary Tully, b ca 1859, d 6 Jan 1934 Manhattan, m Manhattan NY 13 Oct 1905 Bernard ROSS. In 1930 Mary was a widow, living with niece Mary Haley in the Bronx.
24 James Tully, b ca 1861, died before 1905.
25 Matthew Tully, b ca 1865, d before 1905, prob d 16 Jun 1904 Manhattan NY.
3. Annie Tully, b Jun 1835 Ireland, d 4 Sep 1912 Claremont NH, m Michael SHERIDAN, b ca 1830-1835 Ireland, according to census records; death record says d Claremont 26 Nov 1890 at 65 years and 9 months (or ca Feb 1925), son of Barney Sheridan and Bridget A." Mcasterson" (From his death record; probably a miswriting of Masterson). Michael became a naturalized citizen on 4 Feb 1874. Witnesses were George W. Blodgett of Claremont and Patrick Reynolds of Cornish NH. Annie and Michael are both bur St. Mary's Cem, Claremont, as are most of their children. 1900 census gives 1868 as year of Annie's immigration. Signing with an X, Anne Sheridan left a will naming son Patrick and granddaughter Belle Satchell as heirs. Annie's father, Denis Tully, was living in the Sheridan household in 1880. Michael and Annie's children were all listed as born in Ireland.
31 Barney Sheridan, b ca 1858, d single 10 Jun 1885.
32 Mary Isabelle Sheridan, b ca 1860, m/1 on 9 Dec 1883 William B. McAuley, m/2 Fulton Co GA 24 Aug 1895 Truman D. Gibbons, lived Georgia and Florida.
321 Belle Winifred McAuley, b 13 Oct 1887 NH, d 24 Sep 1973 Atlantic Beach FL, m Mt. Holly, Rutland Co VT, 12 Nov 1907 Thomas E. Satchwell. Children Thomas Jr. and Marjorie.
3211 Thomas E. Satchwell, Jr. (1911-1974), m Jacksonville FL 30 May 1936 Florence E. Mills. Children Sally and Thomas III.
32111 Sally Mills Satchwell, m/1 Duval Co FL 1960 Walt G. Horstman (1930-1995), m/2 Sloane
321111 Brittany Horstman
321112 Lesley Horstman Yun
321113 Walt G. Horstman Jr.
32112 Thomas E. Satchwell III (1941-1999), d Jacksonville FL
3212 Marjorie Satchwell (1908-1973) m William T. Clark
33 Annie Sheridan, b Jun 1863. Living with mother in 1900. Cutter in paper mill. Left will dated 8 Mar 1901, naming sister Mary Gibbons, brother Patrick and mother Ann Sheridan.
34 Patrick James Sheridan, b 24 Dec 1864 Co Longford, Ireland, d 18 Sep 1947 Bellows Falls VT, m Windsor VT 20 Nov 1895 Mary Elizabeth "Lizzie" McCarty, b 15 Aug 1870 or 1871 Windsor VT, d 9 Nov 1932 Cornish NH, dtr of Michael McCarty and Katherine Sears. According to death records, Michael was the son of Edward and Elizabeth McCarty, and Katherine was the daughter of William Sears and Ellen Monahan. Patrick worked as a shoemaker in 1900, carpenter in 1910, general utility man for the town in 1920, "general utility man - anywhere" in 1930, and fireman. Lived at 77 Central Street. Forest Fire Warden for Claremont. County officer of the Ancient Order of Hibernians. In 1907 Lizzie was state president of the Hibernians ladies' auxiliary.
Nashua NH "Telegraph" of 20 Sep 1947: "RITES MONDAY FOR CLAREMONT 'SPARK'. Funeral services will be held Monday for Claremont's leading fire chaser, who died last night after a long illness at his home. Patrick J. Sheridan, 82-year-old former Claremont Fire Chief, missed only four alarms in his 48 years with the fire department. He was the first president of the New Hampshire Firemen's Association. Sheridan, who came to this country when he was one year old from County Longford, Ireland, leaves a daughter and granddaughter, both of Claremont. His wife died several years ago."
341 Katherine A. E. Sheridan, b 21 May 1897, d 11 Dec 1951 Claremont, m/1 at Claremont 16 Apr 1923 William L. Huntley, m/2 Windsor VT 1 Jun 1929 George Warren Putnam, d 13 Jul 1954. The Claremont Directory for 1917-1918 shows Katherine as a clerk for the Sullivan Machinery Co., living at 77 Central St.
3411 Grace E. Putnam
4. Catherine Tully, b 1842. Ballinamuck parish records show Catherine bapt 8 Oct 1842, dtr of Denis and Brigid Tully.]
5. Mary Tully, b Mar 1845, d 19 Jan 1924 Brooklyn, m Michael HESLIN, b Sep 1847 Ireland, d 9 Oct 1900. Censuses show the family in Claremont in 1870 and 1880, in Providence RI in 1885 (as "Hasland"), and in the Flatbush section of NYC in 1892 (as "Hesling"). Michael was naturalized 29 Jan 1872, witnesses were same as appeared on Michael Sheridan's immigration card: George W. Blodgett and Patrick Reynolds. At Mary's death in 1924, the home was at 2128 Caton Street, Brooklyn NY. Most family members died in Brooklyn and were brought back to Claremont NH for burial in St. Mary's Cemetery. Children Anna, Mary, George, Doretta, Augustine and Flora. All b New Hampshire except Flora, b Rhode Island.
51 Anna Jane Heslin, b 25 Dec 1870, d 12 Dec 1879 of typhoid fever.
52 Mary Louise Heslin, b Feb 1870, age 71 in 1940 census at Brooklyn, living with sisters Doretta and Flora ("Ann"), all single.
53 George Alexander Heslin, b Jan 1873, d 27 Nov 1925, m 1893 Elizabeth Cullerton.
Brooklyn Daily Eagle, 11 Oct 1893: "HESLIN CAME BACK, So Mrs. Cullerton Thinks $20 Enough for Detective Corr. -- Patrick H. Corr is a private detective. This afternoon his suit against Annie Cullerton to recover $80 for services alleged to have been rendered by him was placed on trial before Chief Judge Clement and a jury in the city court. The allegations upon which he bases the action are to the effect that Mrs. Cullerton agreed to pay him $100 if he would find a certain man named George Heslin. Mrs. Cullerton wanted to make sure that Heslin would become her son in law. The detective declares that he found his man, but that Mrs. Cullerton refused to pay him more than $20 of the $100 promised. The defendant claims in her answer that Heslin came back and married her daughter before the detective found him. She declares that she paid Corr all he earned…"
531 Charles Alexander Heslin, b 27 Aug 1894, probably died before 1900. Not listed in father's household in 1900 census.
532 Arthur Alexander Heslin, b 12 Oct 1899, m Violet. Last record found of Arthur is the 1930 census. No children in his household at that time.
533 Lillian Elizabeth Heslin, b ca 1906, d 23 Nov 1907
54 Doretta Heslin, b 27 Feb 1876. Transcribed Brooklyn death record gives date of death as 25 Mar 1945. The annual Claremont report of Selectmen for the year ending 31 Dec 1945 may be incorrect in listing Doretta's as one of the bodies brought from out of town for burial during the year 1944.
55 Augustine Heslin, b 23 Aug 1878, d 28 Sep 1878
56 Flora Ann Heslin, b 6 Mar 1884 Providence RI. Flora appears as "Ann" Heslin on the 1940 census.
6. James Tully, d Ireland 1904, m Mary, who survived him.
61 Margaret Tully, m Kerr. Received naturalization through her husband.