abstract from 5 Nov 1935
Sioux City Journal, Woodbury Co., IA.
Forty Years Ago - In The Journal
* Dan Scott started yesterday for Sioux Fall to be absent for a few days.
* The city of Omaha, at best, has $117 to go on till next July.
* Temperature yesterday, At 7 a.m. 26 degrees, at 12 m. 45 degrees, at 7 p.m. 38 degrees
* Fort Dodge claims a population of 4,000.
* John Bowman has just completed a $100,000 brewery at Marsheltown.
* Judge Zuver will hold a term in circuit court for Lyon county at Rock rapids.
* Work on the Sawyers block is progressing favorably, and rooms soon will be ready for
occupancy by our county officers.
* Thirty-six counties in Iowa each pay over $100,000 annually in taxes. Pol county oays
over $ 300,000, and seven pay $ 200,000 each.
<the rest of this is quite faded will try my best to transcribe it>
* There were six trains over the Dakota Souther road on Wensday which handled 123 cars of
frieght. Forty-nine loads of wheat same down to Sioux City, Yesterday a double ??? ???
run down from Yankton. The ???? business on the road is tremendious. Whew!
* Sheriff "Nick" Maher of Dakota County Neb., was in the city ??? ??? yesterday.
He reports everything ??? across the river.
* Mrs. Hurd, of Fon Du Lac, Wisc. mother of Mrs. C. T. Fitts of this ???? ???? by the
Sioux city and Pacific ??? ??? yesterday from the east, on a visit to her daughter.
< the rest of the article is quite hard to read and will be alot ???>
Here is some person named on a Purchase of the Old Clifton house saloon. George Brown and
??? Helm are the buyers and Charlie Worth and another person I absolutley can not make out
where the sellers.
AHGP County Cordinator and volunteer
Plymouth County, Iowa
Woodbury County, Iowa