Hello Thelma and list,
Though you have mention of Peter KOUWEN (Jnr) children in the Negapatam area. Peter Jnr
and Senior could well have been in Colombo (Sri Lanka) Western Province. The LDS has a
large amount of records under Sri Lanka Colombo District, Dutch Reformed Records 1677-1990
online but they are (as mentioned in a previous email many moons ago) only searchable by
browsing. You can zoom in to magnify.
My advice is to take time to look at the list of records, decide where you want to start.
Have a note book to hand, write down the exact title of where you start. Each set can
have hundreds or few to get through, when you have had enough always write down the images
number (see below) where you left off. When and if you find a record or possible record
save it to your computer. As you will not want to have to go back simply because it is
too time consuming, eye strain and will test ones patience. There are batches of records
that one cannot decipher as they have either bled or the writing is too faint.
Instructions for accessing these records as follows:
1. You need to be registered with LDS (Latter Day Saints).
2. Along the top select SEARCH (a drop down menu will appears) select RECORDS.
3. Ignore the section on left for Search Historical Records - by name.
4. On the right -Research By Location – Scroll down if need to –
5. Click on Browse all Published Collections
6. On the left select – ASIA & MIDDLE EAST –
7. Drop down menu select - SRI LANKA
8. Click on SRI LANKA, COLOMBO DISTRICT, DUTCH REFORMED RECORDS 1677-1990
9. Ignore the search boxes by name scroll down- click on In blue – browse 33, 965
10. On the left under Province click on WESTERN
11. Under District click on COLOMBO
12. A list of will appear select what you wish to search.
13. On the left you will see the word image with a box (may have 1 in it or maybe clear)
then the number of images - the arrows either side are forward or back a page.
14. When you have had enough note the image number where you have stopped at- then when
you come back to carry on in the box just type that image number (some times you need to
wait for it to process) once that image appears carry on.
I do hope my instructions are clear and hope this may be helpful to anyone else looking
for Dutch names.
Sent from Mail for Windows 10