About the beginnin of 1835 the first survey and a plat
of Dixon's Ferry were made by a Mr. Bennett, from Galena.
It included a tract of 40 acres, entending from the
river to a half-block south of Third street, and from a
half-block east of Ottawa to a half-block west of Peoria
Joseph Crawford came to Dixon in the spring of 1835 and
located on a farm at the "bend" near Grand Detour.
In the spring of 1836 the first Methodist sermon was
preached to the people of Dixon's Ferry by Rev. James
McKean of Elkhorn Grove, pastor in charge of Henderson's
Spring of 1836 the first store was started by Chapman
& Hamilton in the addition built by Father Dixonb to
the log house bought by Ogee.
In the fall of 1836 a man by the name of Lafferty died
in the building on the corner of Galena Water streets
and this was the first interment in the cemetery.
Sept. 3, 1836, when Dr. Oliver Everett came here, Dixon
had four log houses, a frame house, a blacksmith shop
and two or three houses in course of construction.
Father Dixon's original log house was located two or
three rods north of Main, across what is now Peoria
street, the west end ectending into J. M. Cropsey's
lot, and was occupied ay a "store" and a tavern. There
a log house on the corner of Galena and Water streets,
where E. B. Baker's building now stands, and that winter
was cocupied by Col. Johnson as a boarding house. The
building remained until the fall of 1878 when it was
torn down by the owner, Lorenzo Wood.