Hello to all PETTY Researchers:
I am probably addressing some distant cousins, whom I have never met, but
maybe the day will come when we can get all of our lines straightened out and
know who belongs to whom!
I would like to hear from any PETTY researchers but my main interest at the
moment is for maternal descendants from Joseph Petty, Sr.'s wife, Elizabeth
either MIDDAGH or VANATTA. Elizabeth and Joseph stayed in OH; BUT some of
their offspring came to ILLINOIS. Let me list the ones I know and perhaps
someone will recognize an ancestor and can fill in the later blanks for
maternal descendants who are living today.
Before I list my info, REMEMBER, I can only use females descendants of female
descendants. If the line is from a son of Joseph and Elizabeth, it won't do.
(They had sons who came to Illinois also.)
Elizabeth/Betsy PETTY, w/o Joseph Pepple was born in OH in 1809. They moved
to Ill. where they remained and raised their family. Since the surname
changes each time a female marries, you will see the difficulty in trying to
trace these people. I need several generations in between what I have to
give and what I need. Here we go:
1. Betsy and Joseph PEPPLE had daughter Margaret who married Michael DENNIS.
I need the names of their daughters and granddaughters.
2. Their second daughter was Nancy who married Noah KLINGER. They remained
in IL. but I need their daughters married names and granddaughters.
3. Next daughter, Mary, married John SENTERS, and I know nothing more about
4. Maria Louisa married Bolivar S. HEATH. His family was involved in the
Heath Candy, CO.
Joseph and Elizabeth's daughter Sarah/Sally PETTY married Peter PARGIN.
Peter was older slightly than Sally. I believe he had been in IL. and
traveled back to OH where they married and returned to IL.
1. Elizabeth PARGIN, b. ca 1823
2. Nancy PARGIN, b. ca. 1826
3. Mary Ann PARGIN, b. ca. 1827
4. Maria PARGIN, b. ca. 1838
5. Susan PARGIN, b. ca. 1842
I do NOT know any of their marriages at this point.
Joseph and Elizabeth PETTY had a daughter, Margaret, b. 1791, who lived for a
while in IL w/ her husband Henry Stoltz. They returned to OH but they had at
least one daughter who either remained there or returned there. Margaret and
Henry's daughter, Catherine b. 1840 is the only one for whom I have any data.
1. Catherine STOLTZ w/o of David Alexander WESTALL lived in Ill. They had
daughters, BUT I DO NOT know if they remained in IL. and I have no marriages
for them. Most of the marriages would have taken place ca. 1890-1900 period.
1. Sarah Elizabeth STOLTZ
2. Ida Florence STOLTZ
3. Annie Mary STOLTZ
4. Ella STOLTZ
Margaret and Henry had other daughters for whom I have no residence nor
marriage locations. Since the family lived there for a time before the
parents returned to OH, I will list them. Perhaps a name will ring a bell.
Margaret and Henry's daughter:
1. Elizabeth STOLTZ married John ADCOCK probably around 1840, I know there
were Adcock families in Perry CO., OH.
2. Sarah STOLTZ married Unknown ATKINS
3. Mary STOLTZ married David BROOKHART in 1843. David's parents were b. in
PA and died in Iowa so they could have stopped off in IL. at some point.
4. ANNA STOLTZ married John WAGNER. The Wagner family was in OH and IL.
Any help you can give me on any of these people would be most appreciated.
Please don't send material you cannot assure me is correct as far as dates
are concerned. Names and hints and clues are fine if you let me know that is
what they are. I really need surnames to proceed w/ locating these women.
Thank you so much.
Marjory PETTY Austen, d/o Alva M. PETTY, s/o Jacob COLEMAN PETTY, s/o Josiah
PETTY, s/o Jacob PETTY, b. 1801, s/o Joseph and Elizabeth Petty all of Perry,
CO originally. I am now in Mansfield, OH.