A new article has been added at Newspaper Abstracts > United States > Illinois >
Direct link to article: http://www.newspaperabstracts.com/link.php?id=31718
Submitted by: familyrelics
Article Title: The Rushville Times
Article Date: Unknown Unknown 2000
Article Description: Various Schuyler facts concerning Railroad and Bader, the new IL
bridge 1955, & the County Fair 1900
The village of Bader started with the coming of the railroad in 1870.
It was a thriving business center during the time the railroad was prosperous, and became
a residential village when the railraod was abandoned around 1953.
All the business activity of the community at t hat time was centered a quarter mile west,
where a saw mill and blacksmith shop stood where the Vermont to Browning road crossed on
the way to the river.
After the railroad came, SAMUEL FOWLER, who owned the land, laid out a town along the
siding at the top of Dutchman hill and named it Osceola. There was another Osceola in
Illinois, so when the community wanted a post office, the name was changed to Bader.
The general store was typical of the period, with hardware, groceries, clothing, shoes,
even coffins. It also seved as a market for butter, eggs and poulty.
At one time there were six passenger trains daily, three each way, and it was possible to
buy a ticket to anywhere in the U.S. A local freight went north in the morning and south
in the afternoon.
In September 1955, a new $4,500,000 bridge with a 3,624 foot span over the Illinois River,
connecting Schuyler and Cass counties, was dedicated by Governor WILLIAM G. STRATTON.
The Schuyler County Fair fell badly in debt after the September 1900 fair. The fair was
disbanded, the buildings sold and removed, and the amphitheater wrecked.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
- Finding our ancestors in the news! TM