Beginning March 2nd, 2020 the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state.
Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd. After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb
In a message dated 11/4/03 11:56:05 PM, karima(a)insightbb.com writes:
<< The site looks great. I'd like to add the feature below, but I couldn't
find it. Can you direct me to the place to get it? >>
The link to the webfeed is near the top right of each of the new pages.
The actual page to the webfeed is at:
At this time, the category list gives the option of state categories as well
as counties. Please do NOT choose a state. No articles are actually listed
in the state category, only counties, and I have not been able to fix the
script yet to remove the state choices. So many things that have to be done to
maintain a site, yet not enough hours in the day to get it all done!
Have a wonderful evening!
It has been a long process and we are nearing the end of the transfer with
over 90% * of the news items now having been placed into the new site
manager at NewspaperAbstracts.com.
There are many improvements and features available with this new system that
we were not able to do in the past, as well as a new look to the site.
~ When contributors submit news items thru our online system, the articles
are posted to the site, in their proper county, within a few hours.
~ Regular contributors can apply for their own user account, allowing their
articles to appear online immediately.
~ Coordinators no longer need to know html or ftp in order to manage a
county or state for the site. It is as simple as completing an online form.
~ Get the latest "old" news displayed on your website using our Webfeed
Generator. The Webfeed on your site is automatically updated the instant a
new item is posted on NewspaperAbstracts.com.
~ The site search engine is updated immediately with the latest news items.
No more waiting for the weekly update to find the latest news!
Main page of upgraded site:
Upgraded news contribution form:
To apply for a Contributor or Coordinator account:
Remember, NewspaperAbstracts.com is a user-contributed database that relies
on you for old news items. NewspaperAbstracts.com has been and always will
be a free site available to everyone with an internet connection.
* Areas not yet 100% upgraded include Indiana, Iowa, Ireland, Massachusetts,
New York and Ontario Canada.
Welcome to the IL-OLD-NEWS mailing list!!
PLEASE SAVE THIS INFORMATION so you have it for future reference.
PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE of your fellow list members. Some folks are beginners at computers and some to genealogy. The world is a better place when we are all patient with each other. Personal attacks, criticism, or flaming are never permitted.
HOW DO YOU POST? Send an email to email@example.com
WHAT SHOULD YOU POST?
1. Questions about your ancestors. Give as much detail as you can.
2. Interesting history that is relevant to the list.
3. Genealogy and family history conferences, even if they charge for admission.
4. Genealogy societies should feel free to post about their society and their websites.
5. Book reviews of genealogy books are reasonable to post. A list of books is not, but sharing a good genealogy book you've found is a good idea.
6. Links to personal blogs that are about genealogy. They can be your blog or another. Even if the blog has ads, that is not a problem.
7. New collections on various genealogy sites that are relevant. We don't want advertisements, but if you find an interesting collection on Ancestry, FamilySearch, Library of Congress, or some other site that has relevance to the list, let people know.
WHAT SHOULD BE IN YOUR POST?
1. An informative but concise subject line.
2. When replying to a previous message, be sure to check that the intended recipient's address is showing in the Send To box of your email BEFORE clicking on SEND.
3. Proofread and be sure you want your post public. All posts go in the archives!
WANT TO UNSUBSCRIBE?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and put unsubscribe in the subject and body and nothing else.