Beginning March 2nd, 2020 the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state.
Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd. After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb
I've "rescued" a very old bible which belongs to the GARLOCK and LEWIS
Families of New York. The information contained in the bible is as follows:
GARLOCK FAMILY BIBLE
The GARLOCK Family
David GARLOCK lived in Syracuse, NY, married Sarah, had 8 children and in
later years lived on a farm north of Newark, NY. Before they died they
lived in the Village of Newark where Mrs. Sarah GARLOCK died 23 Sept 1879.
1-Sarah Jane GARLOCK b. 25 Jan 1829, married Gideon Lyman LEWIS on 28 Sept
1847. Mr. LEWIS was a hotelkeeper that died in 1897, Sarah died 3 May 1920.
They had two children, Frank Frankie Elroy LEWIS b. 1853 and d.1872; and
Lula Viola LEWIS b. 1859, married Charles F. HOELTZEL, died 1938 and had two
children including Fredrick L. HOELTZEL and Stephen P. HOELTZEL, Stephen had
a son Robert Lewis HOELTZEL.
2-George Washington GARLOCK b. 27 Dec 1831, married Frances WHITTING, and
died 27 Jan 1879. They had three children including, George W. GARLOCK Jr.;
Cora GARLOCK (m. DEWITT, believed to be a medicine manufacturer and
extremely wealthy, Cora had homes in New York City and on the Hudson River);
and Minola GARLOCK (had two children including Cora and one other). George
Sr. and his family moved to Sioux City, Iowa.
3-Charles GARLOCK b. 30 Dec 1833, died 30 Sept 1834
4-Charles W. GARLOCK b. 14 Dec 1835, died 15 Sept 1837
5-Mary E. GARLOCK b. 26 March 1842, died 21 Aug 1842
6-Helen Mar GARLOCK b. 17 Aug 1844, married Capt. Daniel SANFORD who died in
1865, 2nd marriage to an Actor, she was a concert singer.
7&8-Herburt & Delbert GARLOCK b. 1 Aug 1851, Herburt died 8 Jan 1852,
Delbert also died sometime in 1852.
· Gideon L. LEWIS married Sarah J. GARLOCK 28 Sept 1847
· Charles F. HOELTZEL married Lula V. LEWIS 14 June 1881
Births & Deaths:
· Gideon L. LEWIS b. 16 Oct 1821
· Sarah J. GARLOCK b. 25 Jan 1829, d. 3 May 1920
· George Washington GARLOCK b. 27 Dec 1831, d. 27 Jan 1879
· Charles GARLOCK b. 30 Dec 1833, d. 30 Sept 1834
· Charles W. GARLOCK b. 14 Nov 1835, d. 15 Sept 1837
· Mary E. GARLOCK b. 26 Mar 1840, d. 21 Aug 1841
· Helen M. GARLOCK b. 17 Aug 1843
· Hurburt GARLCOK b. 1 Aug 1851, d. 8 Jan 1852
· Delbert GARLCOK b. 1 Aug 1851, d. 1852
· Frank E. LEWIS b. 29 Nov 1853, d. 22 May 1872
· Charles F. HOELTZEL b. 20 Aug 1855, d. 1928
· Lula V. HOELTZEL b. 10 Nov 1859, d. 20 March 1938
· Sarah GARLOCK d. 23 Sept 1879
· Fred Lewis HOELTZEL b. 17 Sept 1883, d. 13 Feb 1919
· Stevie Pyatt HOELTZEL b. 12 Aug 1887
The LEWIS Family
Lyman LEWIS & wife Sarah had 8 children including;
1-Sally LEWIS who married John PIERSON
2-Amelia LEWIS who married Stephen PYETT
3-Catherine LEWIS who married Anson KELLY, daughter Roxy Minnie KELLY m. ?
4-Polly LEWIS who married ? SMITH
5-Alanosa LEWIS who married Hatty HINKLEY, son Lewis LEWIS
Based on limited research I do find David GARLOCK age 77 living in Newark,
NY with his daughter Sarah Jane LEWIS age 49 and her husband Gideon L. LEWIS
age 53 and granddaughter Lulu V. LEWIS age 20 during the 1880 census.
Gideon is said to have been born in PA (parents born in PA & VT
respectively), with the others all NY born, with both Sarah Jane and David
GARLOCK noting that all their parents were also NY born.
I also find Frances GARLOCK, a widow living in Monticello, IA during the
1880 census with two children, a son George H. GARLOCK age 20 and a
daughter, Minola GARLOCK age 8. George H. is said to have been born in NY
and Minola in IA, providing some indication of the timing of the families
move from NY to IA.
It appears that the LEWIS Family was living in Arcadia, NY during the 1850
census with Lyman LEWIS noted as the head of household and son Phinney LEWIS
age 17 at that time. I also find Catherine LEWIS KELLEY age 45 and her
husband Anson KELLEY age 54 living in Rutland, MI during the 1880 census
with a niece Mary ENNIS age 9. Catherine notes that both of her parents
were born in VT with Anson listing his parents as born in NJ and CT
Further I find Stephen HOELTZEL b. 12 August 1887 died Dec 1970 in Newark,
NY and Robert HOELTZEL b. 1 April 1920 died 4 Jan 2004 in East Palmyra or
Newark, NY. I'm hoping to locate someone from these families so that this
precious family treasure can be returned to family. If you are a member of
this family or know someone who might be, please contact me.
Welcome to the IAWOODBU mailing list!!
PLEASE SAVE THIS INFORMATION so you have it for future reference.
PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE of your fellow list members. Some folks are beginners at computers and some to genealogy. The world is a better place when we are all patient with each other. Personal attacks, criticism, or flaming are never permitted.
HOW DO YOU POST? Send an email to email@example.com
WHAT SHOULD YOU POST?
1. Questions about your ancestors. Give as much detail as you can.
2. Interesting history that is relevant to the list.
3. Genealogy and family history conferences, even if they charge for admission.
4. Genealogy societies should feel free to post about their society and their websites.
5. Book reviews of genealogy books are reasonable to post. A list of books is not, but sharing a good genealogy book you've found is a good idea.
6. Links to personal blogs that are about genealogy. They can be your blog or another. Even if the blog has ads, that is not a problem.
7. New collections on various genealogy sites that are relevant. We don't want advertisements, but if you find an interesting collection on Ancestry, FamilySearch, Library of Congress, or some other site that has relevance to the list, let people know.
WHAT SHOULD BE IN YOUR POST?
1. An informative but concise subject line.
2. When replying to a previous message, be sure to check that the intended recipient's address is showing in the Send To box of your email BEFORE clicking on SEND.
3. Proofread and be sure you want your post public. All posts go in the archives!
WANT TO UNSUBSCRIBE?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and put unsubscribe in the subject and body and nothing else.