Beginning March 2nd, 2020 the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state.
Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd. After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb
I am new to the list and I am looking for the family of Norman DAY and Alzina BEEBE DAY who were married
Their children were
Julia L.DAY m Leo E. ROE 1903 in Creston.
Clyde M. DAY d. 1967
Minnie M. DAY
Allie A. DAY
Earle N.DAY m Lulu P,
Dewey G. DAY m Essie K.
Is anyone familiar with this family?
Nana (NAY-na) RUTHERFORD Redell
ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION
E. W. MARTIN
The scientific care of the eyes is one of the most useful and important
professions to which a man can devote his efforts, for of the bodily senses that
of sight is of the greatest value in life's activities. Carroll is fortunate
in having among its corps of professional men an able and competent
optometrist in Dr. Earl W. Martin, who has built up a large practice here and has won
a wide reputation for able and satisfactory service. Doctor Martin was born
in Belford, Iowa, on the 5th of October, 1886, and is a son of Charles B.
and Anna S. (Gilbert) Martin. The father is a native of Ohio and the mother
was born and reared near Bedford, where their marriage occurred in 1885. He had
been brought to Iowa as a boy of eleven years by his parents, and was there
reared and educated. On reaching the years of manhood he engaged in farming,
which vocation he followed for many years in Union county, while during the
past five years he has lived in Tennessee. The mother is deceased.
Dr. Martin was reared on his father's farm and secured his education in the
district schools and the high school at Afton, Iowa, where he was graduated
in 1908, in which year he was the only graduate. While attending high school
he was employed as a clerk in a jewelry store in Afton, serving an
apprenticeship at the watchmaker's trade, and at the same time gave serious study to
the science of optometry. On leaving high school he took a special course in
watchmaking in the Bradley Polytechnic School at Peoria, Illinois, after which
he was for a short time employed at the watchmaking trade in Bloomington,
Illinois. He then enlisted in the United States Marines, serving four years,
during which period he visited most of the important ports of the world. He
was classed as a musician and played in the band during practically the entire
period of his enlistment. While in the service his command was sent to
Nicaragua during one of the periodical uprisings there and was under fire for
three days. After his discharge from the service he returned to Iowa, and with
the savings he had accumulated, he bought a jewelry store in New Market,
Iowa. He conducted that business four years, when, on the entry of the United
States into the World war, he sold out and enlisted. He entered the officers'
training at Fort Snelling, Minnesota, on August 27, 1917, and was given a
lieutenant's commission on November 27th. On January 11, 1918, he sailed from
New York for France. At San Antonio, Texas, he had been transferred from the
infantry to the air service and he went overseas with that division. He
landed at Brest, France, January 24, 1918, and was sent to St. Maxiant, where his
command was stationed for two months. He was then sent to the Third Aviation
Instruction Center at Issurdun, where he remained until July 4th, when he was
transferred to the First Supply Depot in Paris. Thirty days later a call
came for a supply officer to go to the front and Mr. Martin was detailed for
that duty, which was with the Ninety-third Air Squadron. This command arrived
on the front behind the lines in the Toul sector on August 2d and on his
arrival he was transferred from the supply office to the operations office, of
which he was in charge until the close of the war, during which period it was
his duty to send out the planes on their different missions. On February 21st
and was honorably discharged at Camp Dix, New Jersey, February 23d.
On leaving the army Mr. Martin returned to New Market, where he found that
the buyer of his jewelry store had failed to make the payments, and he was
compelled to take the store back. He soon closed out the stock and then went to
Chicago and took a special course in the Northern Illinois College of
Ophthalmology, from which he was graduated on June 14, 1919. He then located in
Council Bluffs, Iowa, where he was engaged in the practice for about five
months, after which he came to Carroll on April 27th and established offices in
the Walz building. Two years later he moved to his present commodious offices
in the Masonic temple, where he has built up a large and representative
practice, his business showing a steady and substantial increase each year.
Promptness, courtesy and efficiency have been the watchwords that have controlled
his practice, qualities which have been appreciated by those who have
employed his services, and he has gained the confidence and respect of the community.
On November 10, 1914, Doctor Martin was united in marriage to Miss Lenna
Harris, of New Market, Iowa, and to them have been born three children, John
Earl, Margaret Ruth and Dorthy Lou. The Doctor is a member of the Signet Lodge
No. 264, A. F. & A. M.; Capstone Chapter, No. 78, R. A. M., and Cryptic
Council, No. 38, R. & S. M. He belongs to the Carroll Rotary Club, the Carroll
Country Club and the Commercial Club. He is a member of the Methodist
Episcopal church and stands for uprightness in all the relations of life. Since
coming to Carroll he has shown a fine public spirit, cooperating with his
fellowmen in all measures for the advancement of the community. Courteous and
friendly in manner, he has made a host of warm friends and commands the respect of
all who know him.
Debbie Clough Gerischer
Iowa History Site