Continued from Last week
Dr. Doe, the first physician of Indiantown we believe, built a little
seven-by-nine store and had a few goods for sale.
Mr. RUGGLES moved down his store in 1864, and commenced business in the same
building with Dr. DOE, or rather in an addition to that structure. Mr.
HELM built a little house, in September 1864.
John W. NIMAN was appointed Deputy Postmaster and remained in that position
until the next year, in September, when he commenced selling groceries in
Orford, and built up a good trade, persons coming from a long distance, to
trade with him, Iuka now Tama City, had a little business, but not until the
next year, did it begin to build up rapidly.
Mr. NIMAN was soon appointed postmaster in the place of Dr. DOE, who
resigned after two months experience with the mail bags at Orford station.
In 1865, Mr. NIMAN was appointed Notary Public, afterwards elected Mayor.
Mr. NIMAN is still in the grocery, in the Postoffice, and has always been
identified with the interests of the town. He is a prominent member of the
M. E. Church, and a staunch Republican.
The first store in Orford or Montour was one brought from Indiantown by Dr.
DOE, who, wishing railroad communication with the world, found that the rail
would not come to him, so, he went to the railroad. Edwin RUGGLES, quite as
enterprising moved his frame store, and plumbed it down by Dr. DOE, thus
competition commenced her perfect work.
Rev. Mr. WORTZ preached a sermon at Edwin TAPIA'S barn, one pleasant Sabbath
day, the congregation uniting in singing old Coronation with a good deal of
spirit. But the most devoted minister in this moral vineyard, was Rev. Mr.
STUART, who pioneered over bad road, to preach the gospel, who went through
hardships, and want enough to shame some of our velvet footed preachers into
more effort, than reading rose colored essays, and making fashionable
Daniel HEMPEY built the first residence in the new village, while several
houses from Indiantown added dignity and comfort to the place, by being
rolled in upon wheels.
C. J. STEVENS having moved his effects to Orford or Montour, went into the
lumber trade and agricultural machinery so that the town in the spring of
1865, had seven houses all told. In April, trains did not stop without
flaggings, the train men throwing off the mail, as it passed through.
Soon after, Mr. BARTLETT repaired over the old stores of Mr. RUGGLES and Dr.
DOE, and turned the buildings into a hotel, the merchants erecting new
places of business.
Amos ROUSE and Miss Alice FINCH made a sensation, by getting married this
summer, and placing their names into history, as the first wedded couple in
Tama County, IA USGenweb Project