Beginning March 2nd, 2020 the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state.
Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd. After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb
I don't know who these Porters are - does anyone connect with them?
1860 Iowa census
Porter, C. C. IA TAMA CO. INDIAN VILLAGE TWP 882 1860
Porter, J. W. IA TAMA CO. INDIAN VILLAGE TWP 883 1860
1870 Iowa census
Porter, Christopher IA TAMA CO. GENESCO TWP 252 1870
Porter, Christopher IA TAMA CO. INDIAN VILLAGE TWP 280 1870
Porter, Harvey IA TAMA CO. CARROLL TWP 224 1870
Porter, John IA TAMA CO. BUCKINGHAM TWP 201 1870
Porter, Lucy IA TAMA CO. BUCKINGHAM TWP 203 1870
Porter, Nancey IA TAMA CO. CARLTON TWP 214 1870
Nothing in earlier census reports.
Tama County, Iowa Marriages
Porter, Edward C. - F.F. Blakely 29 July 1866 by C.E.S. Bunce book A
Richardson, John D. - Lyrena J. Porter 15 Aug 1865 by G.H. Woodward book
A page 50
Hello - I am new to the list and am wondering if anyone is also
researching the surnames Hall and Porter. First of all, this is just a
hunch. I can't find any records for this family anywhere. What I do
have came from obits and a death certificate and I am just hoping that
whoever gave the information was correct with their information. The
Porters and Halls are my most elusive families....but I am not giving
I was doing research on Native American Halls and Porters and came
across Tama County and signed up for the list last week. The Porters
said that they were Cherokee, but Cherokee doesn't make any sense at all
in the state of Iowa. They also aren't listed on any of the rolls.
With their migration route, it looks like they may be of the Sac and Fox
tribe - but it is backwards! So I have a real mess and really don't
know which direction to turn - Tama County looked like a really good
Here is my line with some notes added:
Generation No. 1
1. THOMAS H. or W.H. PORTER He married ANGELINE HALL. She was born
1848 in Iowa.
Notes: Conflicting funeral home and death certificate records. One says
Thomas H., one says W.H.
Notes: Could possibly have been in Jefferson County, Kansas in the
1870's or 1880's?????
Children of THOMAS PORTER and ANGELINE HALL are:
2. i. WILLIAM2 PORTER, b. January 05, 1864, Des Moines, Polk County,
Iowa; d. September 14, 1932, Fort Scott, Kansas.
ii. ROSE ELLA PORTER, b. April 03, 1870, Iowa; d. August 05, 1960,
Miami, Ottawa County, Oklahoma; m. (1) UNKNOWN COMMONS; b. 1868, Iowa;
m. (2) WILLIAM SIDNEY EDWARDS, January 29, 1890, Fort Scott, Kansas; b.
December 11, 1849, Quincy, Adams, Illinois; d. May 21, 1926, Anderson,
More About WILLIAM SIDNEY EDWARDS:
Fact 1: Buried in Ousley Cemetery, Bethpage, McDonald County, MO
3. iii. JAMES R. PORTER, d. Bef. 1935.
iv. JANE PORTER, m. UNKNOWN JONES, Bef. 1914.
v. MARY PORTER, m. UNKNOWN BANNING, Bef. 1914.
4. vi. JOHN PORTER, d. Bef. 1935.
Generation No. 2
2. WILLIAM2 PORTER (THOMAS H.1) was born January 05, 1864 in Des
Moines, Polk County, Iowa, and died September 14, 1932 in Fort Scott,
Kansas. He married MARTHA JANE PROCTOR 1889 in Fort Scott, Kansas,
daughter of HIRAM PROCTOR and AMANDA DUNGAN. She was born March 08,
1866 in Jefferson County, Kansas, and died December 1953 in Fort Scott,
Notes for WILLIAM PORTER:
Source - Konantz Funeral Home. Died R.R. 1, Fort Scott, Kansas at 1:30
More About WILLIAM PORTER:
Fact 1: Arrived in Bourbon County, Kansas sometime before 1889.
More About MARTHA JANE PROCTOR:
Fact 1: Died at 1802 E. Wall in Fort Scott, Kansas.
Property: Was a member of the holiness church.
Children of WILLIAM PORTER and MARTHA PROCTOR are:
5. i. ALPHA ADA3 PORTER, b. September 17, 1891, Irish Valley Community
near Mapleton, Kansas; d. January 12, 1960, Fort Scott, Kansas.
ii. ERNEST PORTER, b. October 14, 1897, Cherokee County, Oklahoma; d.
January 29, 1956, Wichita, Kansas, Sedgwick County V.A. Hospital.
More About ERNEST PORTER:
Fact 1: His obit says he moved with his parents to Fort Scott, KS when a
Fact 3: He was a WW II army private.
Fact 4: Buried at Lath Branch Cemetery, Fort Scott, Kansas.
Property: He died at Veterans Hoospital in Wichita, Kansas.
6. iii. DELPHA MAY PORTER, b. February 03, 1902, Fort Scott, Kansas; d.
March 06, 1980, Fort Scott, Kansas.
iv. CLYDE RAY PORTER, b. December 13, 1907, near Fort Scott, Kansas; d.
November 14, 1962, Clinton, Missouri.
Notes for CLYDE RAY PORTER:
Buried at Lath Branch Cemetery, Fort Scott, Kansas.
3. JAMES R.2 PORTER (THOMAS H.1) died Bef. 1935. He married ANNA KEY.
More About JAMES R. PORTER:
Fact 1: Never married.
Child of JAMES PORTER and ANNA KEY is:
7. i. CHARLES3 PORTER, b. March 08, 1897, Fort Scott, Kansas; d. May 13,
1968, Pittsburg, Kansas.
4. JOHN2 PORTER (THOMAS H.1) died Bef. 1935.
Child of JOHN PORTER is:
i. BERT3 PORTER, b. October 08, 1879; d. 1955; m. ZULA UNKNOWN.
Thanks and best wishes,
I am looking for any information that may be obtained on the LAMM family that
lived in Viola Center, Iowa.
Descendants of Jacob Lamm
1 Jacob Lamm b: December 27, 1824
.+Belinda Dobson b: June 24, 1828
....... 2 Armifinta Lamm b: February 1, 1847 d: 1889
....... 2 Adam Lamm b: December 6, 1849 d: 1898
....... 2 Calvin Lamm b: July 7, 1851 d: 1870
....... 2 Steven M. Lamm b: November 22, 1853
....... 2 Sophia Lamm b: February 4, 1856 d: 1902
....... 2 James Lamm b: May 16, 1858
....... 2 Jacob Emory Lamm (my ggrandfather) b: December 16, 1861 in Montour,
Iowa d: February 16, 1950 in Des Moines, Iowa
..........+Ida Ann Clifford (my ggrandmother) d: February 27, 1950 in Des
................3 Earl Lamm
................3 Harley Henry Lamm (my grandfather) b: October 21, 1900 in
Viola Center, Audubon County, Iowa d: January 15, 1956 in Des Moines, Iowa
...................+Ila Wade (my grandmother) b: November 9, 1900 in Colfax,
Iowa d: March 14, 1992 in Commerce City , Colorado
.......2 Emmeretta Lamm b: April 28, 1863
.......2 Belinda Rosetta Lamm b: May 16, 1865
Welcome to the IATAMA mailing list!!
PLEASE SAVE THIS INFORMATION so you have it for future reference.
PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE of your fellow list members. Some folks are beginners at computers and some to genealogy. The world is a better place when we are all patient with each other. Personal attacks, criticism, or flaming are never permitted.
HOW DO YOU POST? Send an email to email@example.com
WHAT SHOULD YOU POST?
1. Questions about your ancestors. Give as much detail as you can.
2. Interesting history that is relevant to the list.
3. Genealogy and family history conferences, even if they charge for admission.
4. Genealogy societies should feel free to post about their society and their websites.
5. Book reviews of genealogy books are reasonable to post. A list of books is not, but sharing a good genealogy book you've found is a good idea.
6. Links to personal blogs that are about genealogy. They can be your blog or another. Even if the blog has ads, that is not a problem.
7. New collections on various genealogy sites that are relevant. We don't want advertisements, but if you find an interesting collection on Ancestry, FamilySearch, Library of Congress, or some other site that has relevance to the list, let people know.
WHAT SHOULD BE IN YOUR POST?
1. An informative but concise subject line.
2. When replying to a previous message, be sure to check that the intended recipient's address is showing in the Send To box of your email BEFORE clicking on SEND.
3. Proofread and be sure you want your post public. All posts go in the archives!
WANT TO UNSUBSCRIBE?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and put unsubscribe in the subject and body and nothing else.