~ JOHN C. CAMPBELL, b. 4 Jun 1850 ~
Related Surnames - HUTCHINS, SLATTERY
Of the residents of Jackson County there are many of foreign birth, and many others of
foreign parentage. To the latter class belongs the man whose name heads this sketch.
Inheriting the quick perceptions of both Scottish and Irish ancestry, he has added to them
his own strong personality and the solid sense of a native American, thus making a man
whose influence is widely felt and recognized.
John C. Campbell, Attorney-at-Law of Bellevue, is a native of this county, and was born
June 4, 1850. He is the son of Hugh and Margaret Campbell. The father is a native of
Scotland and the mother of Nova Scotia, both being of Irish descent. The father emigrated
to America in 1840, and made a short visit to Jackson County in 1843. He was so much
impressed with the beauty of the country that he returned in 1848, and settled on section
19, Bellevue Township. Here he took up more than 218 acres of land, 160 acres as claim,
and purchased the rest at $1.25 per acre. He resided on his farm some time after
purchasing. Among the old settlers of Bellevue Township no one is more highly esteemed
than this man.
The father of our subject sold his farm in Bellevue Township and removed to Richland
Township, and from there returned to Bellevue City. His wife died Feb. 26, 1875. Of the
large family of children born to the parents of our subject, five are living. John C.,
our subject, is the eldest; Edwin; Mary, wife of Richard Hutchins, of Minneapolis,
Minn.; James F., of Bellevue, and Robert R., of San Francisco, Cal.
Our subject received his early education in the public schools of Richland Township, and
taught two terms of school before going to college, which he entered at the age of
nineteen. He spent three terms at St. John's College, at Prairie du Chien, Wis., then
entered the office of D. A. Wynkoop, of Bellevue (now of Maquoketa), and for two years
studied law with him. He was admitted to the Bar in 1878, and in the same year opened the
office in which he now practices, and has so far been engaged in business for himself.
John C. Campbell was united in marriage May 15, 1879, with Miss Catherine Slattery,
daughter of Michael Slattery, of Galena, Jo Daviess Co., Ill. They were blest with two
daughters, Margaret and Mary, the later dying Nov. 2, 1888, at the age of seven years. In
the fall of 1883 he was candidate on the Republican ticket for the Legislature from
Jackson County, but was defeated by his opponent, John Mandersheid, by about 200 votes,
the Democrats having over 1,200 majority in the county. He has served several terms as
Justice of the Peace. Politically, a Republican, he has done all in his power to build up
the interests of his county. He is also in connection with the Roman Catholic Church.
Our subject is also extensively engaged in manufacturing creamery and dairy supplies, in
company with W. M. Haney, under the firm name of Haney & Campbell. They give
employment to about fifteen workmen the year round. The plant was established in 1881,
and Mr. Campbell and his partner have been engaged in the business since that date. Their
sales annually amount to thousands of dollars, and their goods are retailed not only in
Iowa, but throughout the entire United States. Among the manufactures of Haney &
Campbell there is one deserving of special mention. Haney's Patent Milk Can is a
decided improvement on previous articles of the kind, and has a large and growing sale.
("Portrait and Biographical Album of Jackson County, Iowa", originally published
in 1889, by the Chapman Brothers, of Chicago, Illinois.)