Beginning March 2nd, 2020 the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state.
Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd. After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb
>Also what are the years of marriage records at the courthouse? Does the
society have any of these records?
Yes, all that information about the Jackson County Genealogical Chapter and
the Jackson County Courthouse is on my web site at
http://www.rootsweb.com/~iajackso I also have a Lookups page and there is a
lookup volunteer whose office is situated between the Jackson County
Courthouse and the Maquoketa Public Library who has volunteered to do
lookups at either place. Please ask him for only one lookup at a time.
Charlotte M. Meyer - coordinator - Jackson County, IAGenWeb
Is there anyone on the list that would can tell me what it would cost for lookup and copies at the Historical Society in Maquoketa. I am looking for naturalization information on Cornelius August Volkerts. I know it is there - had a senior moment and made no connection with my family when I saw it a few years ago. There is also a record on Charles Volkerts.
Also what are the years of marriage records at the courthouse? Does the society have any of these records?
I would like to contact any descendants of Cora Orr, who, in Sept 1930,
wrote the Commissioner of Pensions, Wash. DC, asking for information about
my 4x-gr grandfather, Robert M(a)cDonald, a Rev. War veteran from Mercer
County, PA. In her letter, written from Spragueville (Jackson County), Iowa,
she states that she is his gr-gr grandaughter, descended from daughter
Elizabeth MacDonald Hamel. Any information would be appreciated - will
gladly share the extensive records I've collected over the years.
1021 Hancock Road
Williamstown MA 01267-3021
(From List Manager - I'm not sure who list message is to go to, so am
forwarding it to the list. Please reply to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org)
-------- Original Message --------
From: "Sue Papke" <sue_papke(a)hotmail.com>
Subject: Schroeder roots
I got your name from a lady in Preston, who said her grandaughter gave
her. My name is Marjorie Schroeder Papke, and I am the daughter of Fred
(Jeff) Schroeder, granddaughter of John Henry and
Catherine Schroeder. I was born 5-11-27.
John Henry Schroeder owned the Schroeder Hardware Company in Preston.
and his wife are buried in Center Grove Cemetery, which is around
Frederick C.C. Schroeder (my great uncle) is buried in Preston cemetery.
The youngest sister of John Henry is Margaret Wilslef. Her son Virtus
lives in Preston.
I have one brother, John Frederick Schroeder, who lives in Atlantic
My daugher-in-law is sending this for me, and you could write back to
address if you have more questions. I would like to know your name and
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
I am looking for information on the Weldon WHIPPLE and wife Anna GEER
family the Philander GEER and Mercy Ann IVES family and the John Jacob
GRUHN and Wilhelmina WILL family. Mid 1850's and later. Any help would
Hope this helps Bonnie, I do have a few more generations if need or want.
P.S.My lines are John Streets
Descendants of Andrew Houston
Generation No. 1
1. ANDREW1 HOUSTON was born Abt. 1776 in Kentucky, and died Abt. 1850. He
married ELIZABETH GREEN January 31, 1803 in Lancaster, Fairfield County, Ohio.
Children of ANDREW HOUSTON and ELIZABETH GREEN are:
2. i. FERBY2 HOUSTON, b. December 25, 1803, Virgina; d. July 25, 1873,
Jackson County, Iowa.
3. ii. GEORGE H. HOUSTON, b. October 26, 1810, Lickling County, Ohio; d.
March 22, 1881, Jackson County, Iowa.
4. iii. ISABELLA JANE HOUSTON, b. Abt. 1817, Ohio.
5. iv. NANCY HOUSTON, b. November 22, 1817, Ohio; d. November 21, 1893,
Jackson County, Iowa.
6. v. ANDREW HOUSTON, b. Abt. 1822.
vi. ELIZABETH HOUSTON, b. Abt. 1824, Ohio; m. WILLIAM GREEN.
vii. MARY HOUSTON, b. Abt. 1826.
viii. SAMUEL HOUSTON, b. Abt. 1828.
ix. LOVINA HOUSTON, b. Abt. 1830.
Generation No. 2
2. FERBY2 HOUSTON (ANDREW1) was born December 25, 1803 in Virgina, and died
July 25, 1873 in Jackson County, Iowa. She married JOHN STREETS July 11,
1822 in Lickling County, Ohio.
Children of FERBY HOUSTON and JOHN STREETS are:
7. i. TOLBERT3 STREETS, b. October 16, 1823, Ohio; d. December 10, 1888,
Jackson County, Iowa.
8. ii. CALVIN STREETS, b. February 12, 1826, Licking County, Ohio; d. July
04, 1892, Cedar Township, Wilson County, Kansas.
9. iii. ELIZABETH STREETS, b. August 31, 1828, Iowa; d. March 26, 1886.
10. iv. MARY STREETS, b. May 18, 1833, Lickling County, Ohio; d. May 17,
1898, Iron Hill, Jackson County, Iowa.
11. v. HARRIET STREETS, b. December 1835, Licking County, Ohio; d. March 29,
1912, Monmouth, Jackson County, Iowa.
12. vi. CAROLINE CATHERINE STREETS, b. February 21, 1839, Ohio; d. February
15, 1883, Jackson County, Iowa.
13. vii. JOHN STREETS, b. September 08, 1841, Delaware County, Ohio; d.
May 10, 1907.
viii. PHOEBE STREETS, b. July 06, 1843; d. June 09, 1861, Jackson
County, Iowa; m. CHARLES EDWARDS, January 12, 1861, Jackson County, Iowa.
14. ix. THOMAS STREETS, b. January 10, 1846, Ohio; d. May 30, 1922, Jackson
15. x. ELIJAH STREETS, b. January 20, 1849; d. March 07, 1907, Jackson
3. GEORGE H.2 HOUSTON (ANDREW1) was born October 26, 1810 in Lickling
County, Ohio, and died March 22, 1881 in Jackson County, Iowa. He married
Children of GEORGE HOUSTON and LEA STICKLEY are:
16. i. ELIZABETH3 HOUSTON, b. Abt. 1837, Licking County, Ohio.
17. ii. THOMAS J. HOUSTON, b. December 02, 1839, Licking County, Ohio.
iii. JOHN DILLRANCE HOUSTON, b. January 13, 1879; d. December 16, 1883.
iv. AMY JOSEPHINE HOUSTON, b. August 14, 1881; d. December 23, 1883.
v. FERREBY HOUSTON, b. May 31, 1885; d. October 01, 1885.
4. ISABELLA JANE2 HOUSTON (ANDREW1) was born Abt. 1817 in Ohio. She married
Children of ISABELLA HOUSTON and ROLLA GREEN are:
18. i. LYDIA MARGARET3 GREEN, b. Abt. 1841, Licking County, Ohio.
19. ii. NANCY L. GREEN, b. Abt. 1843, Licking County, Ohio; d. September 29,
1910, Maquoketa, Jackson County, Iowa.
iii. HARDIN GREEN, b. Abt. 1845.
20. iv. EVELINE EMMA GREEN, b. October 23, 1847, Licking County, Ohio.
21. v. CATHERINE CLARISSA GREEN, b. January 01, 1850, Monroe, Licking
County, Ohio; d. March 07, 1909, Monmouth, Jackson County, Iowa.
22. vi. MARY E. GREEN, b. May 15, 1852, Monroe, Licking County, Ohio; d.
January 28, 1919, Lacey, Stanley County, South Dakota.
vii. REBECCA GREEN, b. Abt. 1855, Brandon Township, Jackson County,
Iowa; m. WILLIAM HARTER.
23. viii. SERETHER SEREPTA V. GREEN, b. January 04, 1859, Brandon Township,
Jackson County, Iowa; d. January 04, 1911.
5. NANCY2 HOUSTON (ANDREW1) was born November 22, 1817 in Ohio, and died
November 21, 1893 in Jackson County, Iowa. She married MATHEW SINKEY.
Child of NANCY HOUSTON and MATHEW SINKEY is:
24. i. MARY3 SINKEY, b. September 20, 1836, Tower, Delaware County, Ohio; d.
September 26, 1907.
6. ANDREW2 HOUSTON (ANDREW1) was born Abt. 1822. He married SARAH A..
Children of ANDREW HOUSTON and SARAH are:
i. CALVIN3 HOUSTON, b. Abt. 1849.
ii. DANIEL HOUSTON, b. Abt. 1851.
iii. F. J. HOUSTON, b. Abt. 1855.
iv. GEORGE E. HOUSTON, b. Abt. 1857.
v. IAREAL HOUSTON, b. Abt. 1858.
vi. MATHEW HOUSTON, b. Abt. 1860.
vii. MINERVA HOUSTON, b. Abt. 1862.
viii. SHERMAN HOUSTON, b. Abt. 1865.
-------- Original Message --------
From: "JB Pillers" <jpillers(a)jdv.net>
Subject: Houston / Huston
I am looking for information on Andrew Huston Sr. and his children,he
was born abt 1776 in N. Ireland and I think may have died in Jackson Co.
I know at least most of the children came to Jackson Co.. Did Andrew Sr?
Andrew married Elizabeth Green 30 Jan 1803, the daughter of Regnal Green
and Sarah Duncan. She died in OH.
They had the following children:
Sarah born 1803, Fairfield Co. OH, married (1) John Butt, (2) Jon
Ferby born 1804 Fairfield Co. OH, married John Street
Mary born 1805 Fairfield Co. OH, married John Blamer
George born 1808 Licking Co. OH, married Leah Stickley
Nancy born 1813 Licking Co. OH, married Matthew Sinkey
Elizabeth born 1819 Licking Co. OH, married William Green
Isabella born 1821 Licking Co. OH, married Rolla Green
Andrew Jr. born 1822 Licking Co. OH, married Sarah Ann ?
Lovina born 1835 Licking Co. OH, married ? Lewis
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-------- Original Message --------
From: "Billy Covey" <BILLCOVEY(a)worldnet.att.net>
I am doing a one name study on the name COVEY. If anyone has run
across any of these folks I would certainly appreciate hearing from
My direct line goes back to 1639 in Braintree, Massachuttes. I'm now
trying to fatten the tree and perhaps add a little color.
Thanks in advance for your efforts.
Creator of Ol' Tubby Joe Stottlemeyer
Author of: Watson Is Where It Wuz
I have put this list to moderated for a short period of time. That means
that any messages posted to the list will come to me, and I will then
forward them to the list.
The purpose behind this is to stop certain genealogical spammers. I have
one particular person who is joining most of my lists, sending a message
which has little or nothing to do with the particular list, and then
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Donna Walker, IAJACKSO-L List Manager
Looking for the Jepth Mason CASTO family. Jepth Mason and Emmaline Jane
Ann (CUNNINGHAM) CASTO lived in the Jackson County area sometime between
1858. They had 3 children when they moved to Jackson County, they were
George Washington b
1851, Mary Margaret b. 1852 and Mary Ellen b. 1853 all born in Ill. They
had one son Benjamin
Franklin CASTO b. Feb 1854 in Jackson County. By 1858 the family had
moved on to Mo.
when their 5th child was born.
Any info on this family would be greatly appreciated.
Does anyone know if there was a city directory of Bellevue in the
1890's early 1900's.
My great grandparents, William and Elizabeth Conley lived in or
near Bellevue from 1892 until 1896, then to Sabula in 1897. They
probably had four or five of their younger children with them.
I am in search of information on Oliver Conley and Lucy Tipp.
Oliver was born in 1873, I have no information on Lucy. I am
also looking for Hiram Conley.
Is there an 1895 Iowa census, and if so does anyone have a copy
of it that would be willing to look in Bellevue for the Conley
Thank you in advance for any help or guidance.
Welcome! This is the former Rootsweb list, IAJACKSO. We'll be discussing the history and genealogy of Jackson County, Iowa including the surrounding region of east central Iowa and the surrounding counties in Wisconsin and Illinois.
Welcome to the IAJACKSO mailing list!!
PLEASE SAVE THIS INFORMATION so you have it for future reference.
PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE of your fellow list members. Some folks are beginners at computers and some to genealogy. The world is a better place when we are all patient with each other. Personal attacks, criticism, or flaming are never permitted.
HOW DO YOU POST? Send an email to email@example.com
WHAT SHOULD YOU POST?
1. Questions about your ancestors. Give as much detail as you can.
2. Interesting history that is relevant to the list.
3. Genealogy and family history conferences, even if they charge for admission.
4. Genealogy societies should feel free to post about their society and their websites.
5. Book reviews of genealogy books are reasonable to post. A list of books is not, but sharing a good genealogy book you've found is a good idea.
6. Links to personal blogs that are about genealogy. They can be your blog or another. Even if the blog has ads, that is not a problem.
7. New collections on various genealogy sites that are relevant. We don't want advertisements, but if you find an interesting collection on Ancestry, FamilySearch, Library of Congress, or some other site that has relevance to the list, let people know.
WHAT SHOULD BE IN YOUR POST?
1. An informative but concise subject line.
2. When replying to a previous message, be sure to check that the intended recipient's address is showing in the Send To box of your email BEFORE clicking on SEND.
3. Proofread and be sure you want your post public. All posts go in the archives!
WANT TO UNSUBSCRIBE?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and put unsubscribe in the subject and body and nothing else.