From The History of Iowa County, 1881, p. 622-3:
(Under *English Township*..."Physical Features. North English, Middle
English and Gritter Creek are the principal streams of water. North English
River rises in Poweshiek county and flows in a southeasterly direction and
empties into the Iowa River below Iowa City. It touches the township line
first at the northwest corner, then follows in a meandering course directly
east till it reaches section 4. Here it enters the township,passes through
sections 3,2,1 and 12; thence into Fillmore....
Millersburg, Present Condition. Reuben Miller laid out the town which still
bears his name, in the spring of 1852. The original plat was on nw qr sw qr
section 8, township 78, range 11, and the plat was recorded June 28, 1852.
It has been a town of considerable importance and even now does a large
mercantile trade. There are now several general stores, two hotels, a drug
store, hardware and furniture stores, a restaurant, saloon, harness shop,
meat market, barber shop, millineries, blacksmith shops, wagon shops,
shoemakers, churches, schools, livery, lawyers, ministers, physicians,
teachers and all other classes necessary to make a lively little western
village. Let the reader compare an account written nearly a quarter of a
century ago with what Millersburg is to-day.
Millersburg in 1857. We paid a short visit to Millersburg a week or two
since and received social and kindly attention from M. Ballard, Dr. Linch,
A. J. Morrison, Mr. Skelington and others. It was on the occasion of a
political meeting and there were quite a number of people gathered together,
which gave the town a lively and animated appearance. Millersburg is
delightfully located on a high rolling prairie, about two and a half miles
south of English River, and is surrounded with excellent farms, in a good
state of cultivation, well fenced, and several of them having young orchards
growing on them. The town is in a prosperous condition, having already many
well finished frame houses and several others in progress of completion.
There is in the place an excellent stream flouring mill, five dry goods
stores, a hardware store, groceries, a clothing store, kept by our friend
Skelington, a drug store kept by A. J. Morrison, besides two excellent
hotels. We only became acquainted with one of the dry goods merchants, M.
H. Moore, who appeared to be doing a flourishing business. Our friends in
Millersburg should be satisfied; they have a growing town and fine country
around it, which must necessarily keep up a good local trade. May
Millersburg progress till it becomes a city.
The above was written by Clinton Edwards, editor of the Iowa Weekly
Carol C. Eddleman
PA-Roots Data Board Administrator (Bedford, Bucks, Northampton Cos.)