Beginning March 2nd, 2020 the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state.
Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd. After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb
Have you ever wished you could pick up a few acres of rich Iowa land for an
amazingly modest price, just by living there for a time? Well, have we got good
news for you. You can get a whole Iowa county, fully equipped with land, towns,
and generations of charming people, not to mention cattle and hogs and chickens,
for the lowest price ever. FREE. Guaranteed.
All you have to do is write to welcome_to_iagenweb(a)iagenweb.org and ask for an
application form, fill it out, and send it back to the same address. You don't
even have to buy an envelope and stamp.
Now there are a couple of conditions. Yeah, I bet you were waiting for that
line. It's just human nature to be suspicious of something for nothing.
First, only a few of Iowa's 99 counties are available under the July 2008
Homestead Act: APPANOOSE, AUDUBON, FLOYD, FREMONT, GUTHRIE, KEOKUK, and LYON.
Iowa counties are as popular as sausage and corn on the cob. If you wait too
long, your county, the one you're interested in, may be given -- FREE,
remember -- to someone else.
Second, as in every other Homestead Act, you have to take care of your
property: build new additions and repair rickety old buildings and rooms and
spruce them up with some pretty colors and maybe pictures even. You can get an
idea of the kinds of skills and work needed by going to
Third, after 90 days we'll pause to think about how it's going. In all
probability we'll know and agree that it's a great fit or it's time to say best
wishes and part company.
So write to welcome_to_iagenweb(a)iagenweb.org today and take this opportunity
to start a grand new life on America's frontier!
Greta and Conni Mac
IAGenWeb Welcome Hostesses
Welcome! This is the former Rootsweb list, IAHOWARD. We'll be discussing the history and genealogy of Howard County, Iowa including the surrounding region of northeastern Iowa and southeastern Minnesota.
Welcome to the IAHOWARD mailing list!!
PLEASE SAVE THIS INFORMATION so you have it for future reference.
PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE of your fellow list members. Some folks are beginners at computers and some to genealogy. The world is a better place when we are all patient with each other. Personal attacks, criticism, or flaming are never permitted.
HOW DO YOU POST? Send an email to email@example.com
WHAT SHOULD YOU POST?
1. Questions about your ancestors. Give as much detail as you can.
2. Interesting history that is relevant to the list.
3. Genealogy and family history conferences, even if they charge for admission.
4. Genealogy societies should feel free to post about their society and their websites.
5. Book reviews of genealogy books are reasonable to post. A list of books is not, but sharing a good genealogy book you've found is a good idea.
6. Links to personal blogs that are about genealogy. They can be your blog or another. Even if the blog has ads, that is not a problem.
7. New collections on various genealogy sites that are relevant. We don't want advertisements, but if you find an interesting collection on Ancestry, FamilySearch, Library of Congress, or some other site that has relevance to the list, let people know.
WHAT SHOULD BE IN YOUR POST?
1. An informative but concise subject line.
2. When replying to a previous message, be sure to check that the intended recipient's address is showing in the Send To box of your email BEFORE clicking on SEND.
3. Proofread and be sure you want your post public. All posts go in the archives!
WANT TO UNSUBSCRIBE?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and put unsubscribe in the subject and body and nothing else.