My TOWNSEND family were long-term residents of Guthrie County.
William K. TOWNSEND and his wife Maria F. (RUTTER) 1BAXLEY 2BATCHLETT moved
from Illinois to Panora after the Civil War with their five daughters, two of
whom were from Maria's first marriage to Joseph BAXLEY.
All the girls married in Panora and I believe they all lived and died in
Panora or Guthrie Center.
1. Georgia W. BAXLEY married V.M. LAHMAN / LAHMEN / LEHMAN
2. Emma W. BAXLEY, born 1839, married Peter H. LENON 1865. She died 1914 in
3. Maggie T. TOWNSEND married T.C. "Ellis" HAYDEN 1875 Panora.
4. Minnie TOWNSEND (twin to Maggie) married John D. CARPENTER 1873 Panora
5. Florence Adelaide "Flora" TOWNSEND, born 1848, married William James
HARRIS 1870 Panora. She died 1895 Guthrie Center.
Flora is my great-grandmother. I have pictures of her sisters and some scraps
of information about some of their children. I have access to a lot of BAXLEY
information and a real dead end on the TOWNSEND.
I would love to have more information, or find some cousins, or just get a few
new leads on these families!
Diane K. Hettrick, Seattle