Roy Elmer Hopper is buried in the north half of Salem Cemetery Lot
No. 31/32 with his parents, William M. and Mary (Baber) Hopper, and
his brother, Russell A. Hopper. Their obituaries may be found in the
October 2000 archives of this list. The inscription on Roy's tombstone
reads as follows, "Hopper, Roy Elmer, Nov. 18, 1893-Feb. 13, 1918."
"Roy E. Hopper
"Roy Elmer Hopper, youngest son of William W. (sic) and Mary E. Hopper,
was born in Warren county, Iowa, November 18, 1893, and died at
his mother's home in Benton township, Lucas county, February 13, 1918, at
the age of 24 years, 2 months and 25 days.
"He came with his parents to Lucas county, in 1903, and in 1907 located
on the place which has since been the family home.
"He leaves to mourn his death his mother, one sister, Flossie Belle,
and two brothers, William A. and Russell A. His father preceded him
in death April 17, 1907; also two sisters died several years ago,
just when they had reached young womanhood.
"Roy sustained injuries in a railroad wreck last September, from
which he never fully recovered, but during all his sickness he
bore his suffering without complaint.
"Although he had not been well for some time, he was only
confined to the house a few days, and his death came as a shock
to his many friends. All that loving hands could do was done,
but to no avail. He was of a cheerful disposition, possessed
a marked degree of patience, was ever ready to make
sacrifices for the comfort and pleasure of others, and numbered
his friends by his acquaintances.
"By his untimely death the family is bereft of a dutiful son and
a loving brother. He will be sadly missed, not only in the home
but in the community where he was loved and respected by all
who knew him.
"Largely attended funeral services were held on Friday, February
15, at the Salem church, conducted by Rev. W.E. Gray, after
which the remains were laid to rest in the Salem cemetery, beside
his father, the casket being borne by his old time schoolmates.
The sympathy of the entire community is extended to the
The Chariton Leader, 21 February 1918