A Narrative History
The People of Iowa
SPECIAL TREATMENT OF THEIR CHIEF ENTERPRISES IN
EDUCATION, RELIGION, VALOR, INDUSTRY,
EDGAR RUBEY HARLAN, LL. B., A. M.
Curator of the
Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa
THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Inc.
Chicago and New York
ABRAHAM H. ROGERS, who is living retired in the City of Oskaloosa, judicial
center of Mahaska County, was born and reared in this county, is a
representative of one of its very early pioneer families, and here he so ordered his
course during his many years of identification with farm industry as to gain
the substantial success and prosperity that enable him to pass the gracious
evening of his life in well earned retirement and under conditions that are in
every way benignant. The family name has been honorably and prominently
linked with the annals of Iowa history during a period of more than eighty years.
Abraham H. Rodgers was born on the pioneer home farm of his parents in
Springcreek Township, Mahaska County, October 11, 1846, and is a son of Daniel and
Sarah E. (Comstock) Rodgers, who here reclaimed from the virgin prairie the
productive farm that was their place of abode until their death, they having
contributed their quota to civic and industrial progress in Mahaska County and
their names merit enduring place on the roster of the honored pioneers of
the Hawkeye State.
Abraham H. Rodgers was reared to the sturdy discipline of the pioneer farm,
and in the meanwhile profited by the advantages of the common schools of the
locality and period. It is interesting to record that in the rural school he
attended in his youth his two sons later prosecuted their studies under the
preceptorship of the same teacher who had there been the instructor of their
father many years previously.
Mr. Rodgers was a lad of about fifteen years at the inception of the Civil
war, and before its close he was able to give expression to his youthful
patriotism by enlisting for service in defence of the nation's integrity. In 1864
he enlisted as a member of Company I, Forty-seventh Iowa Volunteer Infantry,
and with this command he continued in active service until the close of the
war, he having been with his regiment in Arkansas when he received his
honorable discharge in the early summer of 1865. He has ever retained deep interest
in his old comrades, whose ranks grow less day by day and year by year, and
has signalized this by his appreciative affiliation with Phil Kearney Post No.
40, Grand Army of the Republic, at Oskaloosa, where also he maintains
affiliation with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
After the close of his military career Mr. Rodgers resumed his active
association with farm industry in his native county. He became the owner of a fine
farm estate of 200 acres five miles northeast of Oskaloosa, and there he
staged his activities as a progressive representative of general farm enterprise
until he retired and established his home in the City of Oskaloosa, where he
owns and occupies an attractive residence at 328 North D Street, he still
retaining possession of his farm property. The political allegiance of Mr.
Rodgers is given to the Republican party, and he has ever been loyal and
public-spirited in his civic attitude. While on the farm he served as a member of
the school board of his district and also held various township offices. He
and his wife are zealous members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as was
also his first wife.
In 1874 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Rodgers and Miss Mary Josephine
Millice, of Warsaw, Indiana, and at their home in Oskaloosa her death occurred
January 31, 1922, after their companionship had covered a period of nearly
half a century. Of the children of this union the eldest is Deuward, who is
one of the representative farmers of Mahaska County, the maiden name of his
wife having been Maude Glasscock and their children being Bernice, Blance and
Floyd. Harry Wilkins Rodgers, the second son, is likewise a progressive
farmer in his native county. He married Miss Annis Buckner, and they have three
daughters, Beulah, Wilmer and Lorena, the eldest daughter, Miss Beulah, having
won in 1928 the Iowa State prize in canning and this having gained to her a
free trip to Europe, James D., youngest of the sons and a successful farmer
in Mahaska County, married Miss Lena Melchur, and their three children are
sons, Harry, Roy and James D., Jr. As loyal and progressive citizens all three
sons are well upholding the honors of the family name and are representatives
of the third generation of the family in Mahaska County.
The second marriage of Mr. Rodgers occurred June 7, 1923, when he wedded
Mrs. Mary (Roenspiess) Moore, widow of J. C. Moore, she having had by her first
marriage one son, Leo Moore, who is deceased and whose widow, Mrs. Mary
(Griffin) Moore, and their one child, Leo, Jr., reside in the City of Fort Dodge.
Mrs. Rodgers is the popular chatelaine of the attractive home in Oskaloosa.
Debbie Clough Gerischer
Iowa History Project
Scott County, Iowa
**************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy