_Click here: Civil War Letters of Benjamin F. Harrison_
(http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~richard/harrison/letters.htm) You may find these letters
interesting. They were from my geat-granduncle and also one from my 2nd
great-grandfather, Aquila Belt Crow. Both served in the 9th Regiment, Co. B, IA
Richard Harrison has these letters on the Jones Co., IA site and has added
I would like to know who the doctor was from 1861 thru 1864 for these two
men and their companions. How do I find out?
Any information would be very greatly appreciated.
Marjorie A. Nemitz manemitz(a)aol.com
A Narrative History
The People of Iowa
SPECIAL TREATMENT OF THEIR CHIEF ENTERPRISES IN
EDUCATION, RELIGION, VALOR, INDUSTRY,
EDGAR RUBEY HARLAN, LL. B., A. M.
Curator of the
Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa
THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Inc.
Chicago and New York
JOHN A. CANNING, who was born and reared in Monroe County, has been known by
the people of that county for a quarter of a century as a banker at Albia,
where he is president of the People's National Bank.
Mr. Canning was born in Monroe County September 20, 1874, son of Edward A.
and Jane E. (Thompson) Canning. His parents were born in Ireland, and both
were of the sturdy pioneer characteristics that meant so much to the
institutions and the fabric of society of early Iowa. The mother died in 1918 and the
father in 1916. Edward A. Canning came to the United States when a child
with his mother and two sisters, in April, 1851. They first lived in
Pennsylvania, but in November of the same year came to Iowa and settled in Monroe
County, which was then well out toward the western frontier. He grew up under
frontier conditions, and when the Civil war came entered the Union army and was
promoted to first lieutenant of Company E of the Sixth Iowa Infantry. After
the war he was a hard working and prosperous farmer. At one time he enjoyed
the distinction of being the best speller in his community. Once a Methodist
clergyman challenged him to a a spelling contest. The minister had
previously won a match, in which he was awarded a book for the prize, and this book he
offered as a prize to Edward A. Canning should he be successful. A match
was arranged, attracted a large crowd, and Edward A. Canning finally spelled
down the Methodist minister and was awarded the prize. The director of the
contest and the man who called out the words was former Gov. Nathan E. Kendall,
one of Albia's most highly distinguished citizens.
John A. Canning was educated in country schools and continued his education
in Penn College at Oskaloosa, and later in Tarkio College, a United
Presbyterian Church school in Missouri. He and his family are members of the
Presbyterian Church at Albia. From early youth his ambition was to follow a career
as a banker. His first important experience and training in finance came
while he was employed by a large Omaha real estate, abstract and bond house.
Mr. Canning in 1905 returned to Albia and in 1912 was made cashier of the
People's National Bank. Since 1923 he has been president of that solid and
Along with a successful career as a banker has gone a constant willingness
and effort in civic affairs. For several years he was a member of the city
school board, and is now active in the Albia Rotary Club. Among other
interests, Mr. Canning owns two fine stock and grain farms north of Albia.
Mr. Canning married, October 13, 1904, Miss Henrietta H. Dinsmore, of
Kirkville, Iowa, daughter of Dr. David C. and Cyrilla J. (Andrew) Dinsmore. Her
father was a Union soldier for three years, being a captain in the First Iowa
Cavalry, and was a pioneer doctor who practiced over an extensive territory.
Doctor Dinsmore died November 9, 1921, at the age of ninety0one, and his wife
passed away at Kirkville in June, 1921. Mrs. Canning has long been prominent
in educational and social affairs at Albia. She is a past president of
Chapter H. P. E. O., is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, and
for twenty-seven years belonged to General De Lafayette Chapter of Indiana,
but has recently transferred her membership to the Albia organization. She is
president of the Albia Woman's Club and a member of the board of trustees of
the Albia Public Library.
Mr. and Mrs. Canning have one son, John A., Jr., born August 20, 1910. He
was a member of the class of 1931 at Grinnell College, where he majored in
journalism. Mr. Canning was managing editor of the Grinnell Scarlet and Black,
student newspaper, president of the Iowa College Press Association, and an
active participant in several organizations on the Grinnell campus. He also was
a student at Culver Military Academy and the University of Iowa.
Debbie Clough Gerischer
Iowa History Site
The Vinton Eagle,
Vinton, Benton Co., Iowa
Thurs. Morning, Aug. 8, 1861.
“GOOD GRIT.--Two of our office hands--Stephen Burroughs and William
Wood--unsolicited by any one, on last Thursday attached themselves to Capt. Geddes’
Volunteer Company, now forming in this County. Young BURROUGHS joined with the
express understanding that if the Company was not fully made up by Saturday, he
could withdraw from this and join some other Company, about which there would
be no doubt of its acceptance and final call into active service. This
Company not being made up on Saturday, he started alone late in the afternoon of
that day for Dubuque, where he expects to find a Company to his liking, which he
will join and in which he will most assuredly distinguish himself. His
remark just previous to his departure, that he ‘was in for the war, head, neck and
heels,’ shows just what kind of stuff he is made of.
Young WOOD is equally plucky, and equally anxious to be off for the war,
but he considers it to be his duty to stick by Capt. [James L.] Geddes and his
Company [D] for a few days longer, in the hope and expectation that the
Company will yet be filled. Neither he nor BURROUGHS will ever be posted in the
newspapers for desertion -- mark that. Both are under eighteen years of age, yet
both are large and hardy youths, of temperate habits, and therefore capable
of enduring fatigue.-- Both are possessed of those qualities which are required
to make heroes. BURROUGHs hails from Waterloo, in which town his parents now
reside, while WOOD belongs to Vinton, he being the son of Mr. James Wood, who
for years past has been the Postmaster in this place.”
[Stephen Burroughs served with Company I, 2nd Iowa Cavalry, enlisting Aug. 4,
1861. He stated his age as 19. He mustered out at Davenport Oct. 3, 1864.
William Wood, 18, of Vinton, enlisted Aug. 14, 1861, with Company D, 8th Iowa
Infantry. He was discharged for disability at Sedalia, MO, on Jan. 15, 1862.
When Capt. James L. Geddes was promoted to Lt. Colonel of the 8th Iowa
Infantry in Sept. 1861, his younger brother Andrew, just 17, took over as Captain of
the company, Co. D.]
Roster information on Burroughs and Wood:
"Roster and Records of Iowa Troops in the Rebellion, Vols. 1-6."
Civil War and Iowa: Greyhounds and Hawkeyes.
CD-ROM. Creston, IA: O. J. Fargo, 2000.
Sue Trout Reisdorph
The Vinton Eagle
Vinton, Benton Co., Iowa
July 4, 1861
GOOD FOR OUR IOWA BOYS.--The Iowa boys belonging to the First Regiment, many
of whom are printers, found, at Macon City, Missouri, a deserted printing
office, the editor of which had, upon the approach of our troops, fled to parts
unknown, and for one day appropriated the same to their own use and benefit. In
other words they issued a daily paper, entitled ‘Our Whole Union, or The
Missouri’s Register.’ Frank Wilke [Franc B. Wilkie], for a long time local
editor of the Dubuque Herald, occupied the chair made vacant by the retreating
editor, and published his salutatory and valedictory on the same page, in both of
which he said many spicy things, such only as Frank can say. In the words of
Henry Ward Beecher, ‘bully for the Iowa boys.”
Sue Trout Reisdorph
This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
Message Board URL:
Message Board Post:
Mitchell County Civil War Casualties
Allen, Jeremiah B.
Andrews, Alonzo P.
Brush, Frank A. Lt.
Buell, Willard M.
Childs, Robert M.
Davidson, Isaac E.
Day, Chas W.
Dunlap, Cornelius, Lt. Col.
Emerson, Martin E.
George, Chas E.
Hardy, Lewis S.
Houghton, Howard W.
Huntington, James B.
Johnson, William A.
Kenyon, Reuben N.
Lane, Daniel T.
Loomis, Milan A.
Loring, John M.
Merrill, Edward F.
Moore, Isaac B.
Peck, Chauncey J.
Rynders, James H.
Talcott, Walter B.
[History of Mitchell County 1973]
ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION
J. N. WARREN
Dr. John Nelson Warren, one of the best known and most highly respected
residents of Sioux City, where he has made his home during the past thirty-eight
years, has been an active representative of the medical profession for
fifty-six years and has specialized in surgery since 1892. His birth occurred in
Dewitt, Iowa, on the 30th of April, 1846, his parents being Monroe and Betsey
Ann Warren, the former born on a farm in the Western Reserve of Ohio. The
father was of English descent, while the mother came of English and French
John N. Warren acquired his early education as a public school pupil at the
place of his nativity and during the year 1862 pursued academic studies in
Mount Carroll Seminary of Mount Carroll, Illinois. He entered Cornell College
at Mount Vernon, Iowa, for the session of 1863 and in March, 1864, enlisted
for service in the Union army, becoming a member of Company F, Forty-fourth
Iowa Infantry. Having determined upon the practice of medicine as a life
work, he entered upon preparation therefor in the medical department of the
University of Michigan, which he attended in 1869 and 1870, and on the 1st of
March, 1871, he was graduated from the medical department of Miami University of
Ohio. His initial experience in the field of his chosen profession was
gained at Dewitt, Clinton county, Iowa, where he remained until March, 1878, when
he moved to Storm Lake. It was on the 1st of November, 1889, that he took up
his abode in Sioux City, Iowa, where he has resided continuously to the
present time and where he has been accorded a practice of steadily growing volume
and importance. As above indicated, he began specializing in surgery
thirty-five years ago, and his success in this field of professional science has
been pronounced. For a period covering more than a half century he has
effectively utilized his knowledge to the best possible advantage in his efforts to
alleviate suffering and check the ravages of disease, and he has long enjoyed
an enviable reputation among his professional colleagues as well as the
On the 27th of June, 1877, at Lyndon, Illinois, Dr. Warren was united in
marriage to Mary V. M. Hubbard, who was there born on the 3d of February, 1846.
They became the parents of two sons and a daughter, namely: Dr. Alexis M.
Warren, who married Beatrice Orton and resides at Bellingham, Washington;
Nelson J. Warren, also living at Bellingham, Washington; and Mrs. R. M. Jordon,
of Winside, Nebraska.
Dr. Warren gives his political allegiance to the republican party, believing
its principles most conducive to good government. In Masonry he has
attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite, belonging to the lodge,
chapter, commandery, consistory and Shrine. Though now an octogenarian, he is
still an active factor in the world's work and may look back with justifiable
pride upon a long, honorable and useful career.
Debbie Clough Gerischer
Iowa History Site
ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION
G. S. TOLIVER
To Gillum S. Toliver, of Jefferson, Greene county, belongs the distinction
of being the oldest member of the bar in his county, and his record of
sixty-two years of continuous practice of his profession is probably not excelled in
this state. During all these years, covering the most momentous events of
the world's history, there has not been a time when he was not regarded as one
of the leaders of the bar, while as a private citizen he has stood as the
peer of any of his fellowmen.
In the paternal line of descent Mr. Toliver come from old English ancestry,
though the earliest antecedent of whom any definite facts are known was Jesse
Toliver, of Virginia, from which state he joined the Continental army,
serving seven years in the war of the Revolution, during five years of which time
he was a captain of the line. Among his children was John Toliver, who
became a farmer in Ashe county, North Carolina, and who was the father of Isom
Toliver, who was born in Ashe county July 29, 1814.
In young manhood the latter migrated to Owen county, Indiana, where he was
married and where he devoted himself to the creation of a farm out of the
wilderness which then characterized that section of the country. In the spring
of 1848, with their five children, he and his wife started westward, traveling
with oxen and wagon, wending their way through Illinois and Missouri and as
far as Salem, Arkansas, when they decided that Richland county, Illinois,
presented the best outlook for a future home, and there they located. This was
their home until the fall of 1853, when again they started toward the setting
sun. They spent the ensuing winter in Wapello county, Iowa, and on April 6,
1854, came to Greene county, where Mr. Toliver entered three hundred acres
of government land. They were the tenth family to settle in this county and
the fourth family west of the river in what is now Franklin township. Here
Isom Toliver developed a valuable farm from the raw prairie and lived there
until 1868, when he sold that place and bought an improved farm in Bristol
township, where he made his home during the remaining years of his life, his death
occurring there September 13, 1893. During the forty years in which he
lived in this county he evinced the keenest interest in the welfare and
development of the community, cooperating in every possible way for the advancement of
the public good, and enjoyed t a marked degree the respect and confidence of
his fellowmen. While living in Indiana he had been a member of the United
Brethren church and he always stood for those things which were best in
community life, his own life being an example of right living. He belonged to the
Masonic order and exemplified its beneficent teachings in his actions.
Politically he was a whig until the dissolution of that party, from which time he
was a stanch republican.
On August 6, 1836, in Owen county, Indiana, Isom Toliver was married to Miss
Matilda Reynolds, who was born in Randolph county, North Carolina, a
daughter of James and Sally (Greene) Reynolds, the latter a relative of General
Nathanael Greene, of Revolutionary war fame. Mrs. Toliver died January 14, 1893.
To them were born eleven children, four of whom died in childhood, the
others being as follows: John H. was born in Indiana and came to Greene county
with his parents. He enlisted for service in the Thirty-ninth Regiment, Iowa
Volunteer Infantry, of which he became fife major, but before going to the
front he was taken sick and died in Davenport, Iowa, leaving a wife, whose
maiden name was Nancy King. Gillum S. is the immediate subject of this sketch.
J. M. became a prominent attorney of Lake City, Iowa, where he located in
1871. He was a second lieutenant of Company E, Thirty-ninth Regiment, Iowa
Volunteer Infantry, and for years was district attorney for the northwestern
district of this state. He was married to Mary Stanford, a daughter of James
Stanford, an early settler of Greene county. J. C. served as a private for two
years in Company H, Tenth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and afterward
engaged in the practice of law in Ainsworth, Nebraska, where he also served as
judge of the county court. He had been recorder of Greene county two terms.
He married Ella McCoy, of this county. D. R., who became a member of the
livery firm of Lower & Toliver, of Jefferson, was married to Margaret Mosteller,
a daughter of Peter Mosteller, an early settler of Bristol township. Terry
J. became the wife of A. H. McClurg, of Brush, Colorado. Isom M., who became
a farmer in Molalla, Oregon, was married to Mollie Forbes, of Greene county.
Gillum S. Toliver was born in Owen county, Indiana, on the 11th of February,
1840, and was a lad of fourteen years when the family came to Greene county,
Iowa. There was not at that time a schoolhouse in this county, but in the
summer of 1856 he attended school for three months at Panora, Guthrie county,
and in the winter of 1856-7 pursued his studies for three months when
Captain A. R. Mills taught in the Brand schoolhouse in Washington township, Greene
county. That winter there were ninety pupils in the school, coming from a
radius of five miles up and down the river. He also attended school during the
two following winters and taught school in the summer of 1859. The money
which he earned teaching school in Washington township was contributed toward
the building of a house on the home farm in Franklin township. In September,
1860, he walked from Greene county to Ottumwa, Iowa, to take the examination
that would permit him to teach a school in Wapello county, where he had an
uncle living. He was four days in making the trip, an dall the money he had was
a three dollar bill. Money was so scarce in the district that at the
different places where he stopped for food and lodging no one could change the
bill, until at his last stop a settler changed it and charged him ten cents for
the accommodation. At Ottumwas he spent five cents for cheese and crackers,
making his total expenses for the journey fifteen cents. While in Wapello
county he worked on Saturdays in order to pay his board. During that winter he
spent nine dollars for clothes and then in the spring he walked back home,
carrying with him one hundred and forty-one dollars as the proceeds of his
winter's work. Ambitious for further education, he then entered Western College,
but while there the boys from Greene county who had enlisted for the war
rendezvoused at Iowa City and Mr. Toliver, fired with the spirit of patriotism,
enlisted in Company H, Tenth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, September 28,
1861, remaining with that command until discharged because of rheumatism in
May, 1862. On his return home, he entered Iowa State University, at Iowa
City, and later attended the law school of the University of Michigan, at Ann
Arbor. While in college, he was appointed county surveyor of Greene county, to
fill a vacancy, serving one year, and then was elected to the full two year
term. In 1868-9 he was elected county treasurer, in which position he proved
himself an able and efficient public officer.
In 1865 Mr. Toliver has been admitted to the bar and in 1870 he formed a law
partnership with J. J. Russell, a relation which was continued uninterrupted
until the death of Mr. Russell in 1901, this firm standing as the most
prominent and successful law firm in Greene county. Since then Mr. Toliver has
been alone in the practice and has sustained a reputation for keenness and
sagacity that has been well merited, for he has been uniformly successful and has
always been a foreman worthy of any man's steel. An eloquent and convincing
speaker, thorough in his analysis, determined in his fight for any cause in
which he is interested, and exceedingly safe and sound as an adviser, he has
commanded the absolute confidence of the public and the highest measure of
respect on the part of his professional colleagues, and easily stands in the
very forefront of the distinguished lawyers of his section of the state.
On February 26, 1873, Mr. Toliver was united in marriage to Miss Belle
Blake, who was born in Pennsylvania, June 24, 1856, a daughter of Charles T. and
Sarah A. (Taylor) Blake, the latter of whom was a relative of General Zachary
Taylor. To Mr. and Mrs. Toliver were born two children: Iris, who became the
wife of F. D. Milligan, of Jefferson; and Portia, who became the wife of A.
Politically Mr. Toliver has been a lifelong supporter of the republican
party and has maintained a keen interest in public affairs. He represented
Greene, Calhoun, Pocahontas and Humboldt counties ably in the thirteenth general
assembly and for thirty-six years was president of the commission for the
insane of Greene county. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons.
Kindly and courteous in manner, upright in character and clean in life, he
has well merited the exalted place which he has long held.
Debbie Clough Gerischer
Iowa History Site
A Narrative History
The People of Iowa
RALPH P. BOLTON was a life long resident of Des Moines, and represented the
third generation of a family whose name will always have worthy relations with
the capital city. The late Mr. Bolton was a good business man, measured up
to his responsibilities in all the normal departments of life, but above all
stood his loyalty to his home city. It was this characteristic that caused
a Des Moines editor to single out his career for an unusual tribute when he
wrote that of Ralph Bolton the term "public spirited" could be correctly
applied. To quote this editorial further:
"Des Moines, like every other city, no doubt has need of public spirited
men. There is never the slightest danger of having too many. Reduce to its
basic meaning, the public spirit referred to is that which leads a man willingly
to take part in projects aiming at broad betterment of the whole community,
whether it grow out of intelligent recognition that this will serve private
interests best and most largely in the long run or out of good will toward his
neighbors. it is practically always both, because the man with intelligence
enough to see the broader advantages in invariably big enough to be kind.
Fine personal qualities of course could be emphasized in referring to Mr.
Bolton's passing. The community-spirited life is well worth giving the main
stress, for this once, however."
Mr. Bolton was not yet fifty-seven years of age when he passed away March
15, 1929. He was born in Des Moines July 23, 1872, and was a son of Leander
Bolton and grandson of Evan and Phoebe (Hanna) Bolton. Evan Bolton was a
native of Kentucky, who settled in Des Moines before the Civil war and was a
lumberman in that city until his death in 1873.
Leander Bolton was born in Fayette County, Indiana, October 10, 1838, and
was eighteen years of age when he came to Iowa and established his home at Des
Moines in 1856. When the Civil war broke out a few years later he enlisted
in the Union army and performed garrison service until the close of
hostilities. In 1871 he entered business as a hardware merchant, and was a successful
figure in the commercial affairs of Des Moines for thirty years, until his
death in 1901. He married Miss Belle Palmer, who was born at Ithaca, New York,
April 3, 1853, and continues to reside in Des Moines at the age of
Ralph P. Bolton graduated from the East High School and took his law degree
from the University of Iowa in 1892. He was admitted to the bar, although he
did not practice, most of his attention having been given to business
interests. For twelve years before his death he was associated with the Ankeny
Linseed Company, of which he was president. At the time of his death he was
also secretary of the Des Moines Coliseum Company. He was a charter member and
for many years president of the Hyperion Club, also a member of the Des
Moines and Wakonda Clubs. Mr. Bolton is survived by Mrs. Bolton and two
daughters, Berene and Ruth.
The late Mr. Bolton from 1911 to 1921 served as secretary of the Greater Des
Moines Committee. It was through this committee that he found the
opportunity for the most noteworthy of his services to his home city. He is credited
with having done most to secure the location of Camp Dodge at Des Moines
early in the World war. After the war he was presented with a testimonial signed
by the thirty members of the committee, including many of the most prominent
business men of the city, and their tribute at that time is a fitting close
for this brief sketch:
"The members of the Greater Des Moines Committee feel a very deep sense of
gratefulness to you for the unusual character of your service during the year
"We are most anxious to have you know that we gladly recognize that it was
your genius for organization that brought Des Moines the Cantonment, and that
it was the high order of your capacity and tact that has handled the great
camp to the satisfaction of the War Department, the commanding officers, and the
people of Des Moines.
"You have been tireless and true. You have earned the praise of all of our
citizens, and the members of the committee desire to subscribe themselves as
your admiring supporters, co-workers and friends."
Debbie Clough Gerischer
Iowa History Site