Contact list owner
The GEN-WEB-SITES mailing list on which subscribers can discuss the merits (or otherwise) of any and all genealogical web sites.
~ be kind and polite to your fellow subscribers. If someone makes a mistake on list, leave it to the list administrator to correct that subscriber. If someone posts something you don't like, take it up directly with that person or the list administrator privately and not on the list.
~ be sure all messages are in Plain Text (see http://helpdesk.rootsweb.com/listadmins/plaintext.html for help).
~ keep messages on topic.
~ type surnames in all caps in both the subject and body of your messages.
~ post with a short, informative subject line. Include the surname (in caps), location, and dates whenever possible.
~ limit signature blocks to four lines or less. Don't include the surnames you're researching within your sig block as this impedes the interactive search of the archives.
~ keep messages short and succinct, focused on a single subject.
~ snip when replying to messages.
~ share information that you have and post queries or respond to queries on the list.
DO NOT :
~ post messages that may be offensive or that are political or religious in nature. Inflammatory and/or insulting messages to the list or to the list administrators will result in immediate unsubscription without notice.
~ post messages of a commercial nature, a public promotion of some product or service, messages asking to buy or sell anything, or links to items on e-Bay or any other auction site. The pros and cons of commercial genealogy sites may be discussed, but the list may not be used to conduct or promote the business of commercial sites.
~ post virus, spam, or hoax warnings.
~ post personal chat, netiquette lessons, rhymes, ditties, songs, recipes, festive greetings, chain letters, jokes, or other trivia.
~ breach copyright or licensing agreements.
~ cross post (sending the same questions to multiple lists at the same time).
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ General information about the list, including links to the list archives, can be found at
~ The REPLY button normally sends replies to the list, but your software may work differently. Always check the TO field before pressing SEND to avoid the embarrassment of sending a private message to the list. If your comment should go to just the original poster, you might need to copy and paste their address into your reply.
~ If you have problems with RootsWeb list mail, follow the steps below, no matter to which list you're subscribed, and you can't go wrong. Please print/save these instructions.
- Check the list archives to see if you've missed any messages. If you're not missing any messages, no further action is necessary. If the list seems too quiet, post a relevant, on-topic message to the list to stimulate conversation.
- If the above doesn't apply, check the Help Desk page at http://helpdesk.rootsweb.com/ to see if a problem has been posted.
- If the Help Desk page doesn't reveal what the problem may be, check to see if you are still subscribed to the list (see Passwords http://passwordcentral.rootsweb.com/). If you don't see the list on the message you'll receive from Password Central, just resubscribe to the list. If you receive a Welcome Message, then you've
re-subscribed successfully and can just await delivery of list mail or post an on-topic message to the list.
- If there is no message at the Help Desk and Password Central indicates you are still subscribed to the list, then check your spam/message folders to see if mail is being filed incorrectly. If that's not the problem, contact your ISP.
- If all else fails, then contact the list admin on duty *privately* off list. If there are problems with RootsWeb's servers, remember to use the admin's personal e-mail address (in this case, firstname.lastname@example.org) rather than the RootsWeb address, or your mail won't be delivered.
Please contact the list admin on duty at GEN-WEB-SITESemail@example.com or
firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to resolve subscription problems or have questions or comments about the guidelines.
Good luck with your research and enjoy the list!
Lynne and Carol
Joint List Administrators
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~