Beginning March 2nd, 2020 the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state.
Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd. After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb
TEN MILLION REASONS TO VISIT FREEBMD
Details of 10 million English and Welsh births, marriages and deaths
are now available for free on the Internet.
FreeBMD, the worlds biggest family history project is celebrating
having passed the 10 million milestone in its bid to transcribe the
indexes of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1900 and make
them available in a free, easily searchable internet database.
The project is being carried out by a world-wide group of more than
1550 volunteers and now gives anyone whose ancestors birth, marriage
or death was listed between those dates a one in ten chance of finding
them. Searchers all over the world have praised the site, saying it
has helped them find ancestors without spending hours trawling
patiently through records and every day a further 58,000 records are
Searches can be made for all entries of a particular name or narrowed
to include a certain range of years, type of event or area or county.
The database also includes a wildcard option so someone searching for
a particular name can also pull up variants.
Despite the celebrations, more volunteers are still needed to speed up
the rate at which entries can be made available. The majority of the
10 million entries have been transcribed in about a year which means
that unless more volunteers are found, the project could take another
ten years to complete. Volunteers only need a computer with internet
access and some spare time, and the project is ideal for one-finger
Details of how to get the best from a search and how to volunteer are
included on the FreeBMD website which can be found at
FreeBMD would like to acknowledge the generous assistance of
rootsweb.com and ancestry.com, without which this project would not
have been possible.
News about FreeBMD. Not a discussion list.
Welcome to the FREEBMD-NEWS mailing list!!
PLEASE SAVE THIS INFORMATION so you have it for future reference.
PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE of your fellow list members. Some folks are beginners at computers and some to genealogy. The world is a better place when we are all patient with each other. Personal attacks, criticism, or flaming are never permitted.
HOW DO YOU POST? Send an email to email@example.com
WHAT SHOULD YOU POST?
1. Questions about your ancestors. Give as much detail as you can.
2. Interesting history that is relevant to the list.
3. Genealogy and family history conferences, even if they charge for admission.
4. Genealogy societies should feel free to post about their society and their websites.
5. Book reviews of genealogy books are reasonable to post. A list of books is not, but sharing a good genealogy book you've found is a good idea.
6. Links to personal blogs that are about genealogy. They can be your blog or another. Even if the blog has ads, that is not a problem.
7. New collections on various genealogy sites that are relevant. We don't want advertisements, but if you find an interesting collection on Ancestry, FamilySearch, Library of Congress, or some other site that has relevance to the list, let people know.
WHAT SHOULD BE IN YOUR POST?
1. An informative but concise subject line.
2. When replying to a previous message, be sure to check that the intended recipient's address is showing in the Send To box of your email BEFORE clicking on SEND.
3. Proofread and be sure you want your post public. All posts go in the archives!
WANT TO UNSUBSCRIBE?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and put unsubscribe in the subject and body and nothing else.