Beginning March 2nd, 2020 the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state.
Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd. After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb
Time for another update.
Welcome to our new subscribers.
Please read this and our other News bulletins in conjunction with
the News page on the web site.
Progress on the database
There are over 60,000 entries on the site now. Thank you.
Syndicates and transcribers
We are setting up syndicates. See
http://FreeBMD.RootsWeb.com/Alloc_1837-40.html and see which
slots are being started on. Not everyone who has volunteered so far
has a niche yet - don't worry, there's room for everyone.
Source - where to get some
The issue of where to get some source is a live one. Would some
people like to photocopy for those who need supplies and can't
access any at all. This would have to be paid for, of course. I
suggest that those who need photocopies could send an sae and
costs to the person photocopying. Obviously it'll be cheaper for all
if we can have volunteers to copy in each country - or even in most
We are still working on improving access to the records.
There is support for raising some money to buy a set of source
records and maybe a reader/printer. John Fairlie will act as
treasurer for funds raised, but support and active help is needed to
get that moving.
We are constantly tuning and adding to the web pages. If you are
having problems knowing what to do next, do email me, but can
you say where you got stuck, please? Then there's a chance we
can rewrite or add sections in on the pages to help.
If you'd like to read the previous "News" messages, don't forget you
look through the archive. Find the link from the main FreeBMD
Camilla Gemmingen von Massenbach
FreeBMD co-Leader http://FreeBMD.RootsWeb.com/
IIGS member http://www.iigs.org/
Personal site: http://www.links.org/surnames.htm
News about FreeBMD. Not a discussion list.
Welcome to the FREEBMD-NEWS mailing list!!
PLEASE SAVE THIS INFORMATION so you have it for future reference.
PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE of your fellow list members. Some folks are beginners at computers and some to genealogy. The world is a better place when we are all patient with each other. Personal attacks, criticism, or flaming are never permitted.
HOW DO YOU POST? Send an email to email@example.com
WHAT SHOULD YOU POST?
1. Questions about your ancestors. Give as much detail as you can.
2. Interesting history that is relevant to the list.
3. Genealogy and family history conferences, even if they charge for admission.
4. Genealogy societies should feel free to post about their society and their websites.
5. Book reviews of genealogy books are reasonable to post. A list of books is not, but sharing a good genealogy book you've found is a good idea.
6. Links to personal blogs that are about genealogy. They can be your blog or another. Even if the blog has ads, that is not a problem.
7. New collections on various genealogy sites that are relevant. We don't want advertisements, but if you find an interesting collection on Ancestry, FamilySearch, Library of Congress, or some other site that has relevance to the list, let people know.
WHAT SHOULD BE IN YOUR POST?
1. An informative but concise subject line.
2. When replying to a previous message, be sure to check that the intended recipient's address is showing in the Send To box of your email BEFORE clicking on SEND.
3. Proofread and be sure you want your post public. All posts go in the archives!
WANT TO UNSUBSCRIBE?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and put unsubscribe in the subject and body and nothing else.