Kesh formerly spelled Cash (meaning a wooden or wicker bridge - in this case
over the Glendarragh River) is not a townland name but most of the village
is in the townland of Roscolbin. It is a village name derived from a river
crossing. Similarly the name "Belleek" famous for its pottery in Fermanagh is
not a townland name and also takes its origin from a river crossing meaning the
"ford mouth of the flagstone" from the fording place on the River Erne and
the hugh flat stone or flagstone which made the crossing possible. Towns and
villages have commonly grown up at river crossings or estuaries.
There is no record of Kesh in the Tithe Applotment Books of 1828 but see
Magheraculmoney Tithe Applotment Books – 15th March 1828.
William Acheson, Manus Maguire, Dr. Johnston & Mill Tenement, Mrs Lloyd, E.
Archdall Esq., James Maguire, Widow Morrow, James Mc Caffrey, Thomas
Humphrys, William Dane, Owen Mc Caffrey, Terence Slevin, Anthony Daly, Thomas
Humphrys, John Owens, Francis Connor, Joseph Thornton, Guy Acheson, Patrick Ward,
Charles Mc Elhoney & John Doonan, Humphreys & Mc Anerin & A. Corrikan, Edward
Archdall & Charles Graham, C. Archdall Esq., John Acheson.
John B. Cunningham,
Phone 0044(0)28 6865 8327.