Here's my wishlist after a few weeks of using FH. I don't know if I am
out on a limb, but I use the program for the following reasons (in
1. To organise my grenealogical data and to access it easily.
2. To enable me to communicate the data easily with others by
a. The Internet on web pages
b. By (e)mail
I find 'box' tree diagrams of very limited use (I have been using Family
TreeMaker for years and I can't even remember when the last time I
printed a diagramatic tree). What I do miss acutely is item 3 on my
preference ordered wishlist below.
1. Customisable Autosave.
2. Automatic backup on exit.
3. Fully Customisable Text 'Outline Descendant Tree' output (similar to
Family Tree Maker) and Text 'Outline Ancestor Tree' output to enable
sending by (e)mail.
4. Realtionship calculator to display the relationship between two
5. Option to remember window layout and GEDCOM being worked on when
next opening program i.e. 'take up where you left off'.
6. Alphanumeric key jumping to paricular individual should respond to
multiple keys typed in rapid succession e.g. DAW would jump to DAWSON,
ignoring DARCY and DAVIES.
7. Automatic entering of data into the 'count' fields so that they
automatically show the number of children, spouses etc.
8. 'Replace' button to complement the 'search' button.
9. Marriage end date (i.e. divorce date).
10. Option to display surnames capitalized in Records Window main list.
11. New column (individually customisable) in Records Window/Individuals
tab between Individual Records and Record ID to be called AKA and being
able to show a choice of Given Name Used/Nickname/Other Name Used.
12. Mouse click on Field title to produce help bubble about that field.
13. Multi-step undo and Redo buttons.
Simon G Dawson
email: <mailto:email@example.com> simon(a)the-limes.com