Contact list owner
Welcome to the Leeds list.
Due to some events in the past few months, I'm afraid I think it is now time for me to compose a short list of 'rules' for the list. I don't like to have to do this, but it seems to have become essential, so here goes.
1. No links to commercial or money making websites, in hyperlink or other form, rootsweb rule not mine. If there is a subscribe section that requires payment, it is not allowed even if part of the website is free! This does not mean that you can't point someone in the direction of a particular commercial website, but it must be justified.
2. No personnal, snide, sarcastic or rude comments. I think this should speak for itself, but it does happen!
3. No signatures containing quotes or links on the bottom of emails to the list, with the exception of anti-virus messages. Signatures containing Location and Names of interest are encouraged.
4. No advertising of any services or goods, such as research services that are for monetary gain. This does not apply to 'free lookups' of course.
5. No off topic messages please. Any genealogy is ok, I don't restict to Leeds only, but not computer or email problems etc.
6. If you have problems with the list or members of the list, please take this offline. You can email me at ENG-YKS-LEEDSfirstname.lastname@example.org. Emails to this address are sent to a separate box, so that I can't miss them. If you don't get a response immediately, please bear in mind that I may not check emails every day, but I will get back to you.
7. I do have the right to moderate or remove individual members of the list if nessecary, although I do not like doing so. If a complaint comes through to me I will act on it if I feel it is a justifyable complaint. Please see http://www.rootsweb.com/rootsweb/community_guidelines.html for rootsweb rules.
8. Please do not entitle any email Roll-Call. From time to time I will do a roll call, asking members to reply with their interests.
Not rules but guidelines:
9. When putting names in a message please use the format of capital initial lower case first names and upper case last names, ie: Maureen DOWNES.
10. Please do not use all capital letters throughout a message, this is classed as shouting in emails, but surnames and odd words in all capitals are fine.
11. It is easier to pick out your response if it is at the top of your message, and not underneath previous messages.
12. A more tailored response can be received if you put your location after your name. A short list of your main surname interests can also be of help.
Happy family hunting to all!
CHANGING YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS
If you are changing, or have changed your email address, then please follow this proceedure:
1)Using your old email account (see 3) if you no longer have access), send an email addressed to ENG-YKS-LEEDSemail@example.com, or ENG-YKS-LEEDS-D@rootsweb.com if you are subsribed to digest, with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes, in the subject line and body of the message. Do not include any other text.
2) Using your new email account, send an email to same address with the word "subscribe" in the subject line and body of the message.
3) If you no longer have access to your old email account, don't worry, just subscribe using your new account as at 2) above, and in time your old one will be bounced off the list.
CHANGING FROM SINGLE MESSAGE MODE TO DIGEST MODE, or vice versa
You need to unsubscribe from the one you are subscribed to at the moment, and then subscribe to the one you are changing to, see below for details on how to do this. To change from digest to single message mode, swap over the unsubscribe and subscribe commands in the emails.
On occasions I do a roll call which will result in 50+ emails from the list per day for a few days. If you would rather receive one email containing several messages from the list in place of about 10, therefore about 5 emails per day, you can subscribe to the "digest" mode. To do this first unsubsrcibe to the list mode by sending an email with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes, in the subject line and body of the message, to ENG-YKS-LEEDSfirstname.lastname@example.org and then subscribe to the digest mode by sending an email with the word "subscribe" without the quotes, in the subject line and body of the message, to ENG-YKS-LEEDS-D@rootsweb.com. If you have any problems please contact me on ENG-YKS-LEEDS-ADMIN@rootsweb.com