Just back from holiday and thought I would send notes from 1844 on Monks
Eleigh as I have alread sent the notes on Brent Eleigh previously.
The Eleigh is pronounced as 'eelee'
Monks Eleigh is a pleasant and well built village in the vale of the river
Brett, nearly 6 miles NW of Hadleigh and 2 miles SW of Bildeston.
Its parish is a peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury and contains 732
souls and 2,099 acres of fertile land. On the river are two corn mills and
in the village is a good inn and several well stocked shops. The manor was
given with Hadleigh to the monks of Canterbury by Brithnod, Earl of Essex,
who was killed by the Danes in 991. After the dissolution, it was given to
the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, to whom it still belongs; but the soil
belongs to Isaac Strutt, Thomas Brown, and Chas. Dawson Esqrs.; Miss
Margaret Blair, Mrs Hicks, Mr J Making, Mr S S Baker and a few smaller free
and copy holders.
The Church of St Peter is a large and handsome structure with a tower
containing six bells and surmounted by a small wooden spire. The interior
was thoroughly repeaired in 1838 and most of the sittings are free. The
rectory valued in KB at GBP 13. 18shillings and 11 and a half pence and in
1835 at GBP422 has 16 acres of glebe, a good residence and a yearly modus of
GBP570, awarded in 1837.
The Archbishop of Canterbury is patron. and the Rev. Henry Carrington MA,
The Church Land, 2.5 acres anciently appropriated to the repairs of the
parish clock is let for about GBP 6.00 a year, which is carried to the
churchwarden's account. The sums of GBP10.00 given by Francis Causton and
GBP20.00 given by the Rev. William Moore for bread for the poor, were laid
out in 1717 in the purchase of Butt Field, 2.5 acres which was conveyed,
together with two cottages belonging to the poor, to trustees, for
distributions of bread on Ash Wednesday and Christmas Dady among the
necessitous parishioners frequesnting the Church. The cottages are occupied
rent-free and the land is let for GBP 4 pounds and ten shillings a year.
Here is a national school built in 1834 and the schoolmistress has use of
part of the old workhouse, which was divided into three tenements in 1838.
Baker Samuel, veterinary surgeon and shoeing smith
Baldwin Philip, tanner
Brentford Wm, blacksmith
Carrington Rev H, MA Rectory
Clarke Edmund William West, Parish Clerk
Clover Thomas, corn miller
Deaves Samuel, castrator
Fuller Edmund, beerhouse keeper
Gage William, butcher and cattle dealer
Garnham Henry, spirit merchant and victualler of The Red Lion
Hawkins Robert, ironmonger
Hobart John Rt, animal painter
Raynham Mrs - Mudd Sus. - School
Baker Samuel S
Making Joseph, The Hall
Grocers and Drapers
Warren Zach. (and beerhouse)
Today just The Swan Inn remains of the pubs and beerhouses, and this is more
The Willows Garage closed recently and is about to have several houses built
on the land.
Next door to the garage a family home that was once a pub and now the only
shop is a community shop run by various villagers and sited in a barn behind
The Swan Inn.
There is a flourishing business on the way out of town towards Hadleigh -
The Corn Dolly centre! Win Gage, a farmers wife, has turned her hobby of
Corn Dollies into a very successful business and over many years this has
become a very busy shop and tea room and lunch meeting place for many locals
and visitors alike.
This is still a very pleasant village with a good community.
The primary school is a modern building and continues to educate the
children of the village, who progress to the middle school at
Stoke-by-Nayland at age 9 and then to the Upper School in Great Cornard at
Monks Eleigh St Peter Parish Records are available to search at the Suffolk
Record Office, they are on a total of 20 fiche,from 1557 - 1900 and they are
available to buy from the SRO, and you need only buy the ones you need for
your research (not the whole set).
For further information
Lots of records for the village at the excellent
On the church
On the village
On the school
On Corn Dollies and the Corn Craft Centre
Monks Eleigh Bygones Collectors Club
This started many years ago in the garden of Paul Goodchild, The Street,
Monks Eleigh, he would display his Bygone collection to raise money for
charity. We have just missed this years event - which has grown so big that
it now takes place on land which is part of the former Great Waldingfield
USAF WWII base. Here is a report on last years event
The Swan Inn
That's It Folks!
Regards, Pat ...
in sunny south Suffolk