Just a note to say that the members of the Upper Dales Family History Group
have been delighted with the postings by Patricia. They give the kind of
lead that we might not otherwise be able to access, and for those of us who
had wandering master mariners, the work done by Patricia has been
unbelievably helpful. For example she has given me a lead that I have been
pursuing for some time in Canada, only to find the guy dying in Victoria.
The lists mean different things to different contributors, but what matters
is that the richness and variety of our research is given a voice. At
different times we have more time to give the list than others - for example
last year I was able to find time to transcribe for the list details from
the Beverley Minute Book and items from 'Kyngestone vpon Hvll" by William
Gunnell. They might have been boring for 95% of the list, but the other 5%
asked for more - AND found relatives. This year I have had little spare time
at all, but have been delighted that so much activity is going on.
A point often forgotten also is that for new members, or previously
subscribed members, they can always have the archives to browse - if there
are no entries they have nothing to find!
The easiest thing for us all to do if some item does not connect with our
own research is just delete the message. I would hate to see these
contributions drying up if the writers feel they are not appreciated -
because it does take a lot of time to write them.
With best wishes from a remote Yorkshire Dale
Web site for the Upper Dales FH Group
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Bean" <Kevin.Bean(a)bigfoot.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2001 5:05 PM
Subject: [ERY] Lists sent to Rootsweb mailing lists
Is there anyone else, like me, who is getting fed up with people
lists to the Rootsweb mailing lists ?
Examples are the recent Death notifications from Nancy Clarke and the
Victoria (Australia?) BMD Indexes from Patricia Hayward.
These mailings, I believe, are of no interest to the majority of list
members, and would be more relevant if they were added to a web site so
people could browse if they were interested.
Anyone else have any comments ?
From: Nancy Clarke [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: 30 September 2001 16:10
Subject: [Lon] HEGARTY
Hegarty, Peter Francis
died: Aug 25 2001
Death occured in London Borough of Enfield, unless otherwise stated.
I have no connections with any individuals mentioned.
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp
==== LONDON Mailing List ====
==== ENG-EAST-YORKS Mailing List ====
ARCHIVE CD BOOKS - old books for genealogists reproduced on CD
for a FREE 14-Day Trial and enjoy access to the #1
Source for Family History Online. Go to: