Beginning March 2nd, 2020 the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state.
Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd. After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb
Listers might be interested in my HIGTON HERITAGE family history
website, that I put online recently. It explores the genealogy of the
HIGTON family that originated in Cromford, Derbyshire, and also that of
my wife's ancestors from the Bradford area. It can be found here:
If viewing on a tablet, the display is best if you click on the "Mobile"
option at the foot of the homepage
The principal East Yorkshire names included are: COBB, MARSHALL,
NICHOLLS, BARNBY, WORSOP/ARTHUR WORSOP, MAULEVERER, plus a smattering of
others. You will find a fuller list also at the foot of my homepage.
Click on any of the names to see who's there.
I developed the website using the facilities offered by the Guild of One
Name Studies. You can check to see if one of your names of interest is a
registered study here:
or whether it is included in one of the registered studies here:
The "Cloud" that appears after you type in your name will show the
registered studies that include the name. Click on any of them for
My study remains work in progress, and I have a lot of data still to
transfer to the website. Nevertheless, I would welcome additional
information and, particularly, suggestions where I have made errors.
A Warm Welcome to the ENG-EAST-YORKS mailing list!
Please post a list of your interests if you are a new subscriber on have been absent for a long time.
To post to the list address message to,
You are currently subscribed in
"mail mode", which means that you will receive every posting made to ENG-EAST-YORKS as a separate e-mail. The directions on how to change to digest mode are given below.
1. How to unsubscribe. Send a message to
that contains (in the body of the message) the command
and no additional text.
2. How to subscribe. Whatever you just did worked, or you'd not be getting this message. But for future reference (for instance, if your subscription is cancelled for whatever reason and you want to resubscribe), just send the command "subscribe" to
3. How to change to digest mode (several postings are combined and sent to you together as a single large message). There are two steps. First, send the command "unsubscribe" to ENG-EAST-YORKS-Lemail@example.com to discontinue mail mode. Second, send the command "subscribe" to ENG-EAST-YORKS-Dfirstname.lastname@example.org
to start receiving digests.
4. How to change to NOMAIL mode. There is no formal NOMAIL mode.
All you have to do is follow the directions above and unsubscribe when you want the messages to stop, and then when you want them to start again, simply subscribe again.
5. If you'd like to post a message so everyone on the mailing list receives it, just send it to ENG-EAST-YORKS-L@rootsweb.com. It will then be sent on to everyone in both mail and digest mode.
You don't need to send it explicitly to both.
6. To contact the administrator of this mailing list, send mail to ENG-EAST-YORKSemail@example.com.
For your verification, a transcript of the original subscription request is included below.