CHIEF EVENTS 1857-1900
On January 31st the Pembrokeshire and Haverfordwest Infirmary was founded
by Dr. Brown and Sir John Scourfield on the site of the old Lunatic Asylum
on St. Thomas' Green, "to afford medical and surgical relief to the poor."
It started with six beds. After the First World War it was re-organised and
a new hospital was built on the present site in Winch Lane, and re-named
"The Pembroke County War Memorial Hospital." On the 5th July, 1948, it came
under the National Health Service.
Opening of the Barn Street Boys' British School.
1872 The Masonic Hall was built. Prior to this date the Lodge Meetings were
held in the Hotel Mariners.
Opening of the Catholic Church in Dew Street.
1882 The Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh passed through the town on the 20th
March en route for Pembroke Dock for the launching of H.M.S. Magpie.
1884 The contract for the building of the Slaughter House in Milford Road,
given to Thomas Jenkins of Camrose for £1,849 10s. od., while Gardiner &
Son, Bristol, was paid £240 for ironwork supplied.
1885 The Drainage Scheme for the town let to Robert Nicholson,
Southend-on-Sea, for £4,598 10s. 11d.
1887 George Leader Owen, Esq., and Jane, Lady Maxwell of Calderwood, his
wife, of Withybush, near Haverfordwest, presented to the Corporation the
Mayor's Chain in commemoration of the Jubilee of the reign of Queen
The chain is of gold and consists of a series of links with the initial H of
the name of the Borough, with enamelled shields on which are inscribed the
royal arms of the Kings who have granted charters to the town. The royal
arms of Queen Victoria occupy the large central link and from it is
suspended the badge which bears an adaptation of the device of the reverse
of the old seal of the Borough with the red dragon in base; a Tudor rose
above and other devices with crossed mace and fasces. Between the badge and
the chain is a small enamelled medallion with a portrait of Her Majesty the
Dew Street Infants' School opened.
1888 The Temperence Hall in St. Mary's Street was opened. After the fight
for temperence was won, the Hall was converted into a cinema, and now it
houses Government Departments.
1895 This year is memorable in local history for the many elections which
took place, all aspirants being well-known public men still remembered by
many townsfolk. In February, the School Board Election took place, and the
following were returned in this order:-
Rev. F. N. Colborne (Tabernacle); Mrs. (afterwards Lady) Walters; Miss Ada
Thomas; Mr. James Price (Solicitor); Rev. James Phillips; Ven. Archdeacon
Hilbers; Rev. Canon Foster.
The results of the County Council Elections held in March were as follows:-
In St. Martin's and St. Mary's, M. W.O. Owen beat Isaac Roberts by 39. In
Prendergast there was a tie, the Rev; J. Jenkins and A. Rose each polled
133. The returning officer was the Mayor (Councillor William Williams,
druggist) who gave his casting vote to the Rev. J. Jenkins.
These elections were all fought by the two political parties of the day,
Conservative and Liberal, and as Mr.Williams was a staunch Liberal his
casting vote won a former Conservative seat for his party.
In July, a General Election took place, and the result in the Pembroke and
Haverfordwest Boroughs was as follows:-
General Laurie (C) 2,719.
Egerton Allen (L) 2,550.
Conservative Majority, 169.
The figures for the County of Pembroke were :-
W. Ress Davies (L) 4,550
Saunders Davies (C) 3,970
Liberal Majority, 580.