Robert FOWLER senior (17?? – c1806), was a yeoman, of Cricket St. Thomas,
Somerset, and of Thorncombe, Devon. It is not known where he lived in the
1750s and 1760s, when his ten children were born - it was not in Cricket
St. Thomas. Robert senior was a dairyman. Robert senior and family later
lived in Cricket St. Thomas, Somerset, till after 1782; five of his
children, all described as of this parish (otp), were married in that
parish, between 1778 and 1782. Robert senior and family were living in
Thorncombe, Devon, by 1790 and two more of his children were married there,
in 1790 and 1792. Robert senior signed his last will on January 30th.,
1805, in Thorncombe, Devon. When Robert signed his will, he was a dairyman.
That will was proved at London on December 10th., 1806, sons Robert and
James FOWLER being executors (prob. 11 / 1453). In his will Robert FOWLER
mentioned, by name, his 10 (surviving?) children:
1. Hannah FOWLER, the wife of William TUCKER. 2. Elizabeth FOWLER,
who on September 20th., 1780, in Cricket St. Thomas, married Henry DYER, of
Creech St. Michael, in the presence Robert FOWLER and Robert DARE.
3. Sarah FOWLER, who on May 7th., 1782, in Cricket St. Thomas, married
William GLYDE, of Thorncombe, Devon, in the presence of Thomas PALMER and
4. Ann FOWLER, who, on February 14th., 1792, in Thorncombe, Devon,
married John JEFFERY, in the presence of Joseph JEFFERY and Martha FOWLER.
5. Martha FOWLER, mentioned in her father’s 1805 will - she received
all his dairy goods and utensils, together with his household goods and
6. Robert FOWLER junior, son of Robert FOWLER senior, who was born about
1757. On April 2nd., 1781, in Cricket St. Thomas, he married Mary PHELPS,
of Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset, in the presence of John FOWLER and Jane
7. Mary FOWLER, who, on February 28th., 1781, in Cricket St. Thomas,
Somerset, married Robert DARE, of Hawkchurch, in the presence of Sarah
FOWLER and Francis KENTISBER.
8. Susanna FOWLER, who, on October 19th., 1790, in Thorncombe, Devon,
married Hugh BRICE, in the presence of John JEFFREY and Worthington BRICE.
9. John FOWLER, who, on May 19th., 1778, in Cricket St. Thomas, Somerset,
married Jane GLYDE, of Winsham, Somerset, in the presence of Mary PHELPS,
Mary FOWLER, Thos. MARSH and Robert FOWLER. John died before 1805, when his
father’s will mentioned, the seven children of his late son, John.
10. James FOWLER, who by 1805, was apparently not married, when he was
mentioned in the will of his father.
I am keen to make contact with any relations or researchers of this FOWLER
ancestral family of mine.
Merry Christmas to all.