First will post what I have on my Daniel family. The family ties haven't
been 'proven' so to speak, but they make a heck of a lot of more sense than
anything else I've seen. This compilation is really a joint effort. I had
found part of it in a 5 year search & was contacted by a cousin in another
state, Ken Daniel in Kansas to be exact. He had about the same amount of
information but not what I'd found. The more we talked the more things fit.
Anyway -- here's what we have.
1. Edward Daniel (abt 1760-?) married Millie Duncan (d/o 'Ole Man' Duncan &
?? MacLaine) about 1790, probably in Virginia. [Think the only record I
found so far for an 'Edward' marriage in VA was to a Polly Consolvent, but I
now can't find my note]. Millie was a twin, supposedly, and her sister,
Jane, married Malichi(?) Ware & had a daughter, Alzada.
We have Edward & family in the 1810 Surrey Co., NC, Census. Males: 2(0-10),
3(10-16), 1(16-26), 1(45+). Females: 1(0-10), 1(26-45).
And in the 1830 Warren Co., TN, Census as Edward Dannel. Males 1(10-15),
1(15-20), 1(20-30), 3(30-40), 1(60-70). Females: 1(10-15), 1(20-30),
1(50-60). 10 total.
Edward & Millie had the following children:
2. George Daniel (1793, VA, -?)
2. John Daniel (abt 1794- )
2. William D Daniel (1796, VA, - )
2. James Daniel (1799, VA, - bef 1860)
2. Stephen Daniel (1801, NC, - bef 1860)
2. Edward Daniel (1810, NC, - )
2. Elizabeth Daniel (bet 1800-1810 - )
2. Jessee Daniel (1813, NC, - )
2. Jincey Daniel (1817/18 - )
2. Joseph L. Daniel (1818, TN, - )
2. George Daniel married Edy (Editha possibly) abt 1830. There is a Clay
Co., IL marriage record for Daniel, George - Daniel, Editha but it's dated
13 Nov 1856! Way too late to reflect the household existing in 1850. He
was head of household the Washington Co., IL, 1850 Census -- Family #684,
George Daniels, 57 w/m, Farmer, bn VA, with wife Edy - 38, & 8 children
ranging in age from 19 - 6 months. He and/or Edy appear to have died before
the 1860 census as their children were spread among other family members.
Children for George & Edy Daniel are:
3. Louisa Daniel, bn abt 1831, IL
3. Edward Daniel, bn abt 1836, IL
3. Joseph Daniel, bn abt 1839, IL. [note: Joseph Daniel (69) bn IL is
in the 1910 Norman, Cleveland Co, OK, Census with wife Martha A. Liverat.
Since a large portions of cousins ultimately migrated to OK, may possibly be
3. Lucinda Daniel, bn abt 1840, IL. Married Allen W. Wooters 19 Aug
1861, Marion Co., IL
3. Elizabeth Daniel, bn abt 1843, IL. Listed as a domestic servant in
1870?? with Henry Bogan family.
3. James Daniel, bn abt 1844, MO
3. David Daniel, bn abt 1847, IL
3. Richard Daniel, bn abt 1849, IL. Married Margaret Sconce before
1872. Children were James H., Edwin, Harvey, & Charles.
2. William D Daniel married Mrs. Delphia (Wilburn) Maples [bn 15 Sep 1811,
Orange Co., NC] 7 Jul 1840 in Marion Co., IL. A 'William G. Daniel' was in
the 1830 Warren Co., TN, Census Males: 1(0-5), 1(20-30). Females: 1(20-30).
He was 54 in the 1850 Marion Co., IL, Census, a farmer, bn in VA. Delphia -
39 & 4 Daniel children (ages 1-8) & 4 Maples children (ages 12-18) were
listed. In 1860 George's daughter, Lucinda - 19, had joined his family.
William & Delphia's children were:
3. John Daniel, bn abt 1842 in IL, was head of household for the 1870
Jefferson Co., IL, Census. Also listed was Perthena, 27.
3. Stephen Daniel, bn abt 1845 in IL, was head of household for the
1870 Marion Co., IL, Census. Also listed was Susan - 19.
3. Josiah W. Daniel, bn abt 1847. He married Louisa Williams and had 1
known child, Charles W. Daniel. Louisa died in 1901 and he married Ida
Turner Robertson 18 Nov 1903. Josiah died in 1917 and is buried in the Mt.
Moriah Cemetery, Marion Co., IL.
3. Ira Daniel, bn abt 1849 in IL, married Martha F. Cavens 19 Nov 1871,
Marion Co., IL.
3. Allen Daniel, bn abt 1852 in Marion Co., IL.
2. James Daniel (my grgrgrandfather) married Elizabeth Allsup [her
sister(?) Abigail married James' brother Stephen at the same time]. The
marriage contract was dated 29 Aug 1827 in Rutherford Co., TN, with Edward
Daniel listed as the bondsman. He was head of household in the 1830 Warren
Co., TN, Census (100001-10011). 1840 found him in Marion Co., IL
(1100001-311001). He's head of household in Jefferson Co., IL, for 1850's
Census with 8 children (ages 1-21) He apparently died before 1860 because
Elizabeth is listed as head of household [4 of George Daniel's children --
Joseph, Elizabeth, James and Richard, are members of Elizabeth's household
at that time.]
Children of James & Elizabeth are:
3. Sophia, bn 1829 in TN, married Sebern R. Jackson 12 Nov 1854,
Jefferson Co., IL. Children were Moses M, John, & Eliza A. Sebern dies
before 1870 because Sophia & children are living in her mother's household
by the Census.
3. Jesse Everett Daniel(11 Sep 1832, IL, -14 Sep 1878, Fayetteville,
AR) married Nancy Jane McClain (16 May 1837, IL, - 2 Sep 1911, Hastings,
Jefferson Co., OK; d/o Joel and Sarah Wiggenton McClain). Family moved to
Arkansas in 1878 where he died. Children are: Sarah E., Joel B, Jonathan
Andrew, Martin Van Buren, George B 'Green'sleeve, William Evert, Arletta E,
Charles Leander, Belle Zora, and Thomas L.
3. Melinda Daniel, bn abt 1836 in IL, married James McDonald 3 Jul
3. Mary Daniel, bn abt 1838 in IL, married Emory Bradley 15 Jun 1854.
3. Martha A Daniel bn abt 1840, IL. Marriage record on file for
Faulkner, Azuriah & Daniel, Martha - dtd 3 Dec 1857?? Not confirmed this is
the same Martha.
3. William R. Daniel, bn abt 1845 in IL, served with Co. I, 30th Inf.
IL, during the Civil War. Listed as a merchant in the 1880 Census, he
married Rosella Vaughn 15 Jan 1880. One child, a boy was born in 1881.
3. James Monroe Daniel, bn abt 1847, served with Co. I, 49th IL Inf.
Listed as a Richview resident, he joined the Union forces at the age of 16.
He died 23 Apr 1931 in Madison Co., IL & was buried in Sunset Hill Cemetery.
Obituary cited 2 surviving daughters - Mrs. L. J. Calame & Mrs. Theo.
Ryckman, a grandson, Frank G. Guthrie, granddaughter, Veramayer Calame &
great granddaughter, Jamesetta Guthrie. He was known as "Uncle Roe" to
nieces & nephews. Two marriages are on record - 1) Sarah M. Harris, 17 Aug
1873, 2) Francis E. Chapman, 18 Dec 1890. Both in Jefferson Co., IL.
3. Francis M. Daniel, bn abt 1849 in IL, was head of household in 1870
Jefferson Co. Census. Also listed were Martha M - 22 & William H - 2 mo.
He joined brother Jesse's widow & several children in their migration to OK.
He bought several lots in downtown Hastings, Jefferson Co., OK in 1902.
2. Stephen Daniel was born in NC, possibly Scurry Co. Stephen married
Abigail Allsup [sister of Elizabeth?]. Marriage contract was dated 29 Aug
1827 & Edward Daniel was the bondsman. Stephen is head of household in the
1830 Warren Co., TN, Census (00001-20001). He's in Marion Co., IL, for the
1840 Census (1100011-11031). 1850 has him as a 49 yr. old farmer, bn NC.
Abigail was 41 & there were 8 children at home (ages 1-21). Stephen also
appears to have died by 1860 as Abigail becomes head of household for the
1860 & 1870 Census.
Stephen & Abigail's children are:
3. Mary Daniel, bn 1829 in TN, married Leonard Beck 24 Jun 1852 in
Marion Co., IL. Uncle George Daniel's son, David, was living with Leonard &
Mary in 1860. Mary died before 1865 -- Leonard remarried then. Children
were Abigal, Mary J. & Jacob Isaac Beck.
3. Sarah Jane Daniel, bn 30 Dec 1831 in IL, married Peter Fahnestock
Spangler 10 Apr 1852 in Marion Co., IL. She died 3 Jul 1919 in Centralia,
Marion Co., IL & is buried in Palestine Cemetery, Centralia. Children were
Nancy, Steven Duncan, Amanda, John, William henry, Mahala, Peter, James
Bradley, Sarah Abigail, Richard D, Ann "Levicey', Elizabeth, & David S
3. Stephen Duncan Daniel, bn 18 Jan 1833 in IL, married Samantha
Americus Donohoo on 23 May 1837 in Jefferson Co., IL. Stephen died 12 Dec
1917 & is buried in the Donohoo Prairie Cemetery, Romine Township, Marion
Co., IL. Samantha died 16 Dec 1917, just 4 days after Stephen. Children
were: Charles P., Joseph Emory, Emily Elizabeth, William H(omer?), Sarah
Rose, Samantha Clementine, & Stephen Ollie Daniel.
3. Charles Daniel, bn abt 1838.
3. America Daniel, bn abt 1840 in IL, died 1889 in Washington Co., AR.
She married George W. McClain (Nancy Jane McClain's brother). George was
born 3 Feb 1841 & died in Nov 1917 in Sebastian Co., AR. Children were:
Delphia A(Elizabeth??), William Green, Nancy J, Charles Duncan, Joel
Richard, Milas E, George W, & Mary M S McClain.
3. William B. Daniel, bn abt 1844 in IL. He enlisted 30 Mar 1864 in
Co. G, 60th Inf, IL. He's enumerated in two separate places in the 1870
Census, 1st as a member of his mother's household taken on 9 Jun in Richview
& 2nd as head of household in his own residence on 12 Jul. He married Hanna
J Lawler. State wide Marriage Index lists Schuyler Co., IL, 2/19/1875 Vol
C. pg. 89, #6274. This places their marriage after the 1870 Census where
there is a 2 yr. old child, Mary A?? Additional child is Clementine Daniel
born 29 Aug 1886, Schuyler Co., IL
3. Editha (Dythia) Daniel, bn abt 1847 in IL, married Shadrack Hill.
Children are Susan A, Elizabeth & John H. Hill (bn 8 Dec 1878, Field
Township -- 5th child born of Mother.)
3. Richard M. Daniel, bn abt 1849 in ILL, married Malinda Elizabeth
"Henry" Keelan (d/o Henry Keelan & Malissa E Gr-----) on 2 Dec 1884 in
Jefferson Co. Known child was Melissa Emmaline Daniel.
3. Lorica A Daniel, bn abt 1852 in IL, married John J Tibbs 23 Sep 1872
in Jefferson Co.
3. Mahala Elizabeth Daniel, bn abt 1854 in IL, married James H
Williamson 3 Jul 1876.
Ken & I felt we'd done the best we could with available information on the
links on this family. Then I got the contact from Lisa Beasley that upset
our 'apple cart' so to speak. She has William D Daniel (3rd son -- Edward)
as being a child of Josiah Daniel & Virginia Elizabeth Jordan, citing data
from a will. I went to Payne's Daniel site & after 2 hours of searching his
massive data, could not find such a connection for William & Josiah. So, I
wanted to throw my Daniel family into the pot & see what comes to a boil.
I'm more than willing to admit to error (well, maybe a small one or two -
here & there, etc.) so will welcome any comments, corrections (with
source/proof cited pleasssssse) or just additional information on any of the
Thanks for your time, fellow listers. I know this got rather long before
done, and I do have continuing descendency information on some of the lines
Diane Christie, San Antonio
2. Edward Daniel married Rachel Orrick 23 Dec 1839 in Marion Co., IL. He's
head of household in the 1840 Marion Co., IL, Census (012001-00001). It
would appear he had younger siblings living with him and his new bride.
1850 finds him in Schuyler Co., IL - Edward Daniels, 40, Farmer, bn NC.
Also listed were Rachel-35, and 5 children (ages 1-15).
Edward & Rachel's known children are:
3. James Daniel bn abt 1835(?), IL.
3. Elizabeth Daniel bn abt 1842, IL.
3. Paulina Daniel bn abt 1844, IL.
3. George Daniel bn abt 1848, IL
3. Elijah Daniel bn abt 1849, IL.
2. Jessee Daniel married his cousin Alzada Ware (d/o Malichi Ware & Jane
Duncan his mother's twin). He was head of household for the 1840 Marion
Co., IL Census (10012-00001). 1850 has him in Washington Co., IL. Family
#690, Jesse Daniels - 37, farmer, bn NC. Also listed were Alsada-32, and 5
children (ages 6 mo - 10).
Jessee & Alzada's known children were:
3. Rufus Daniel -- abt 1840-1861. Civil War victim??
3. Woodson Daniel -- abt 1841-1861. Civil War again??
3. Sarah Jane Daniel bn abt 1843.
3. Sarilda Daniel, bn abt 1847.
3. Margret Daniel, bn Sep. 1849.
3. John Daniel, bn before 1851.
3. William Daniel, bn abt 1853. Possible marriage?? William A.
Daniel - Eliza A. Albert, mrd 6 Jan 1876 (IGI)
3. Steaven Daniel, bn abt 1855.
3. Maliejah Daniel, bn abt 1857.
3. June Daniel, bn abt 1859.