You asked how sure someone was that Henrietta's maiden name was Catlett. Henrietta
was the wife of Lawrence Campbell. I sent for the file (70 pages) of Lawrence
Campbell's family file housed at the Library of Virginia. One of the documents is
entitled "Campbell Documents" by Rev. Francis Campbell Symonds D.D., Pastor of
the First Presbyterian Church, Lynchburg, Virginia.
This is an index of (some) of the contents in the file.
1. Some Campbell Records in Scotland
2. Major Lawrence Campbell and Henrietta Catlett records from 1756-1815
3. Captain Francis Lee Campbell and Nancy (or Ann) Barnett records from 1796-1840
4. Some letters written by the above Nancy (or Ann) Barnett Campbell and her children.
1. Harriet Campbell Baugh
2. Martha Campbell Carver
3. Emily Campbell Lewis
4. Rev. Alexander Augustus Campbell M.D., D.D.
There are a lot of other documents such as land records, wills, etc. but I think this
clearly states that Henrietta Catlett was indeed the wife of Lawrence Campbell. And, no,
there is not a copy of the marriage certificate. I was disappointed in the "Campbell
records in Scotland" as they are essentially a repeat of the history of the
Campbell's in Argyle with which we are all familiar. There is another typewritten
page about the Campbell's of Caroline County from the book by Marshall Wingfield (page
395) c 1924, but not a handwritten account of this particular branch of the
Hope this answers your question about Henrietta. Phyllis Pengilly in CA