From: Alison Causton <acauston(a)mnsi.net>
Subject: [ARMAGH] Portadown - Slater's Directory (1881)
Please remember to cite the bibliographic reference given at the end of
this posting, in any subsequent usage of this information.
A MARKET town, partly in the parish of SEAGOE, barony of OíNeilland
East, but chiefly in the parish of DRUMCREE, barony of OíNeilland West,
county of Armagh, is 84 miles N. from Dublin, 25 S.W. by W. from
Belfast, 19 W.S.W. from Lisburn, 15 E. from Dungannon, 10 N.E. by N.
from Armagh, 4 S. from Lough Neagh, 6-1/2 E. by N. from Loughgall, 5-1/2
S.W. from Lurgan, the same distance N.E. from Richhill, and 4-1/2 N.W.
by N. from Gilford; eligibly situated on the river Bann, over which is a
stone bridge of five arches, connecting it with the small suburb of
EDENDERRY, in the parish of Seagoe. The Newry canal joins the river
about a mile above the town, and the latter falls into Lough Neagh at
its southern side, and issuing at the opposite point loses itself in the
sea below Coleraine, thus forming, in connection with the canal, a water
communication between that place and Newry. This is now but little
used, consequent on the opening of railway communication with all parts
of the country. The Great Northern and the Ulster lines of railway have
a joint station conveniently close to the town. The ancient name of
this place was Port-ne-doon, signifying the ìPort of the fortified
eminenceî, from a castle of the McCannís, who occupied this important
station, commanding the pass of the river Bann. In the reign of Charles
I, Portadown consisted of no more than three or four small houses, and
was granted by that monarch, with the estate, to J. P. Obyns, Esq. It
now consists of a well-built principal street, and several smaller
streets branching from it in various directions. In 1780 a general
grain market was established by the late Major Obyns and John Woodhouse,
Esq. And of late years the weekly sales of corn have greatly increased.
The trade in other agricultural produce is also great, and is much
promoted by the situation of the place, in the centre of an extensive
and fertile district, and the facile means in possession of transmission
to distant parts. The manufacture of linen, cambric, and sheeting is
carried on extensively in the town and neighbourhood, and affords
employment to a considerable number of persons. Banking accommodation
is amply supplied by branches of the Bank of Ireland, the Belfast
Banking Company, and the Ulster Banking Company. Petty sessions are
held on the second and fourth Mondays in each month. The general
appearance of the town is cleanly and respectable. The principal street
contains a number of excellent retail establishments. The town is also
well lighted with gas, and is governed by a chairman and commissioners
elected triennially under the Towns Improvement Act of 1854.
The Protestant Episcopal church of Drumcree, situated about a mile
from the town, is a handsome edifice, in the early English style, with a
tower at the eastern end; and the parish church of Seagoe, which forms a
very pleasing object in the landscape, stands about an English mile
north, in themidst of a finely wooded and well-cultivated district. St.
Markís church, a neat structure with a square tower, stands in the town;
as do also Presbyterian meeting houses, and chapels respectively for
Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. The Roman Catholic church is
situated in William street. The charitable institutions comprise
dispensaries for the sick poor, a fever hospital, and public schools.
The court house and news room, in High street, is a handsome and
ornamental structure. A good market place and shambles were erected by
subscription, and placed under the superintendence of a committee. The
general market is held on Saturday, and one for grain, hay and straw on
Wednesday. Fairs, the third Saturday in every month. The town
contained in 1861, 5,528 inhabitants, and in 1871, 6,735.
BOOT & SHOE MAKERS.
Boles John, David st
Boles Samuel, Thomas st
Source: Slaterís Royal National Commercial Directory of Ireland;
compiled, printed and published by Isaac Slater [Royal National
Directory Offices, Manchester; 1881], pp 474-9.
Transcribed by Alison Causton, Kingsville, Ontario, Canada, and intended
SOLELY for non-commercial, private research.