I am hoping that there are several of you that know the Bowles, Bowls, etc
families of NC so well that you will help me firmly connect my Barsheba
Bowles to her proper family. Here is some information on her:
1. Barsheba Bowles married Vincent (Vinson) Roberts on 5 Feb 1805 in Orange
2. Barsheba may have had a daughter, named Nancy, before she married
because Vincent cites Nancy in his will as "my wife's daughter, Nancy."
Thus, Bowles could have been her married name.
3. Marriages in Orange Co., NC about the same period were Elizabeth Bowles
to David Moore in 1804 and Anne Bowls to Henry Holt in 1807. I do not know
if Barsheba is related to either woman.
4. In Jan 1811 in Orange Co, NC, Vincent provide bond for the marriage of
John Bowles to Betsey Paulston. John Bowles could have been a brother to
5. In his 10 Jan 1816 will of Orange Co, NC, Vincent mentions wife,
Beersheba and notes she is pregant; Sons: James, Morgan, George,
Zephaniah, Calvin Henderson. (Why is only one son mentioned with a middle
name?) Daughters: Lidda, Clary, Jemina, Peggy, Mary, Rebeckah; and finally
the reference to my wife's daughter Nancy.
6. One of the executors of the will was a James Boling (Bowles??) and it
was probated in Feb 1816 in Orange Co, NC.
7. 1820 Census Orange Co., NC lists Bashby Roberts with one male in the
0 -10 & one in 10 - 16 ranges and two females in 0 - 10 and one in the 10 -
16 ranges besides the older woman who would be Barsheba.
8. 1830 Census of Franklin Co, TN finds a Barsheba Roberts with male: 1 in
15-20 and females: 1 in 15-20 besides an older female, Barsheba. A court
document show that Bersheba Roberts signed a bond for a Calvin Henderson
Roberts in the same county in 1835.
9. In the 1840 and 1850 Barsheba Roberts is with her son, Calvin Henderson
Roberts in DeKalb Co, AL.
10. Other Bowles, Boles, Bowls, etc in the NC area in that period of
Barsheba's marriage were:
A. Alexander Boles married Bethenia Walker on 30 Jul 1804 in Stokes
Co, NC. Is Bethenia close to Barsheba?
B. Bershebae Bowls m. Thomas Sparrow on 15 Dec 1768 in Pasquotank
C. In Orange County around 1800 were James Bowles Sr., James Bowles
Jr., Wm Bowles Jr, Jno Bowles Jr. and Thomas Bowls.
D. David Bowles and Keziah Overman had a daughter named Bathsheba
who would be about the same age. Someone said this girl died at a young age
but I have not found that reference.
E. A Bathesheba Bailey married David Bowles in 1803.
F. A Bershebae Bowles born 1748 was the daughter of David Bowles
and Elizabeth Rhodes.
Can anyone help me eliminate any of these people as connect to my Barsheba
Roberts? Or better, connect her to the proper family?