From: Mike Boyd
Sent: Tuesday, November 3, 2015 9:52 AM
Subject: The Family of William Boyd, farmer, in Parish of Airth, Stirlingshire, and Ann
Cumming, who were married 24 December 1773.
During a recent visit to Edinburgh, Scotland, I found the family of William Boyd and Ann
Cumming. However, there was no author and time period of when this research was
undertaken. The only clue was that it is in handwriting – suggesting that this research
might be over 50 years old.
[For some unknown reason, Airth seems to have a number of Boyd families. However, their
origins are not yet known. Nor is there any indication as to what religion this family
might have been. The other Boyd family that is THOUGHT to have come from Airth, is the
family of George and Isabella Boyd of Compass, PA – who settled there in about 1729 after
coming from County Antrim and prior to there from Airth. George Boyd’s family were
Espiscopal. Plus a Boyd family of Stepney, who were silk weavers and married into a
“Family and descendants of William Boyd, farmer, parish of Airth in the County of
Stirling, and Ann Cumming his wife, who were married 24th December 1773.
1. Margaret Boyd, 1774, buried 17th Dec. 1836, married 13th Dec. 1793 William
Liddell, baker, Airth, about 1761, buried 4 June 1837. (Had 10 children).
2. John Boyd, bapt 11th Aug. 1776, buried Aug. 1847, farmer, Dougall’s Hole, parish
of Airth, married 31 Aug. 1814, Margaret Watson, about 1784, died 26th Sept. 1864, dau of
William Watson and Jane Kincaid. (Had 9 children).
3. Ann Boyd, bapt 25th Oct 1778, died 2nd March 1844, married 5th Feb 1802, William
Ross, Baptised 26th May 1771, died 25th Feb 1845, farmer, North Greens, Airth, son of
William Ross, p. of Airth, and Margaret Taylor. (Had 9 children).
4. Mary Boyd, baptized 8th Oct. 1780, died 6th April 1870. married 3 Nov. 1805, John
Kemp, bapt. 22 Oct 1775, died 1 June 1858, farm labourer, Airth, son of Hugh Kemp and Mary
Mitchell. (Had 8 children).
5. Alexander Boyd, Bapt. 3rd Aug. 1782, died about 1822, baker, 8 North Frederick
Lane, Glasgow, married Elizabeth Ferguson died about 1850. (Had 9 children).
6. Janet Boyd, bapt. 11th Dec. 1785, died 28th Feb. 1856, married 28th Mar. 1813,
John Carmichael, bapt. 30th Aug. 1778, buried 1st Aug.1845, farmer, Eastfield, parish of
Airth, son of James Carmichael, parish of Airth, and Helen Mitchell. (Had 12 children)
7. William Boyd, baptised 18th May 1788, died 22 March 1869, farmer, Airth Mill,
married 17th Jan. 1821, Margaret Bald, born about 1794, died 23 Aug. 1863, dau of James
Bald and Janet Cumming. (Had 5 children).
8. James Boyd, baptised 18th April 1790, died 14th Nov. 1841, baker, Argyle St.,
Glasgow, married Jane Brand, born about 1791, died 29th April 1863, at Kawlands?, near
Glasgow, dau of William Brand, dyer, Glasgow, and Janet McCubbin. (Had 6 children).
9. Peter Boyd, baptized 26th May 1792, died 23 March 1874, farmer, Westfield, near
Airth Roads Station, married 13th Jan. 1826, Ann Adam, born about 1795, buried 17th Mar.
1848, dau of William Adam, farmer, Halls of (?) Airth, and Agnes Simpson. (Had 4
10. Marion Boyd, baptized 24th Sept. 1797, died 2 Jan. 1835, married 28th Dec. 1821,
David Bruce, born about 1789’ died 12th Aug. 1856, millwright and joiner, Dunmore, parish
of Airth, son of Andrew Bruce and Isabella Eathhert?. [another 3 lines which can’t be
read – appears that David re-married?]
Do you belong to these Boyds of Airth and Glasgow, if so, I would like to hear from you
Does anyone know the origins of this William Boyd of Airth? I suspect that as he was a
farmer that his father was also a farmer in Airth.
Historical Committee, HBS
(If any member is on the Stirlinghsire rootsweb.com
net list could you forward this
message to that group please. Likewise if you are on any of the Spouse named listed could
you forward this message to those lists as well please.