Beginning March 2nd, 2020 the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state.
Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd. After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb
Please read this important message and save it for future reference.
On Tuesday, August 15, 2006 RootsWeb is preparing to migrate this mailing list to a new list management system called Mailman. The old system was Smartlist and it was fast becoming obsolete. Everything will automatically migrate, so there's nothing you will need to do except to continue sending and receiving messages to the list that are on topic.
For list subscribers, the changeover should be smooth. However, there is one significant change you should be aware of. The new system treats both the digest ("-D") and regular delivery ("-L") lists as a single list with two delivery options- digest or regular. This means that the "-L" or "-D" is dropped from the list name within the system so the list becomes AFAM-LEE (NO "L"). The address for sending messages to the list will now be AFAM-LEE(a)rootsweb.com . Please make a note of this important change. If you use the old address, it might bounce to me, your list administrator.
If you're one of those list members who subscribes in both list and digest modes, you will no longer be able to receive both the digest and the regular delivery ("-L") versions of the list at the same email address. If you're subbed in digest mode, you will automatically be moved to list mode, and if your'e in both, you will be in list mode only. If you wish to receive both L and D modes, you will need to use a different e-mail address. One address for List and one for Digest.
You can subscribe and unsubscribe from list or digest by sending your "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" message to a single email: AFAM-LEE-request(a)rootsweb.com. To subscribe to the list digest, continue to send your "subscribe" email to AFAM-LEE-D-request(a)rootsweb.com.
Other changes you might notice include:
- Changes to the layout, volume and issue numbers of the digests.
- New "welcome" and "goodbye" and other messages.
- New message footers.
- The "from" email will be different (no "-L") so some messages may be sent to your "junk" folder. If you use filters, you will need to change them.
If you have any questions concerning all of the changes, please e-mail me off list at reberkheiser(a)earthlink.net .
AFAM-LEE mailing list is for the discussion and sharing of information regarding the Lee surname in the African-American community.
Welcome to the AFAM-LEE mailing list!!
PLEASE SAVE THIS INFORMATION so you have it for future reference.
PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE of your fellow list members. Some folks are beginners at computers and some to genealogy. The world is a better place when we are all patient with each other. Personal attacks, criticism, or flaming are never permitted.
HOW DO YOU POST? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT SHOULD YOU POST?
1. Questions about your ancestors. Give as much detail as you can.
2. Interesting history that is relevant to the list.
3. Genealogy and family history conferences, even if they charge for admission.
4. Genealogy societies should feel free to post about their society and their websites.
5. Book reviews of genealogy books are reasonable to post. A list of books is not, but sharing a good genealogy book you've found is a good idea.
6. Links to personal blogs that are about genealogy. They can be your blog or another. Even if the blog has ads, that is not a problem.
7. New collections on various genealogy sites that are relevant. We don't want advertisements, but if you find an interesting collection on Ancestry, FamilySearch, Library of Congress, or some other site that has relevance to the list, let people know.
WHAT SHOULD BE IN YOUR POST?
1. An informative but concise subject line.
2. When replying to a previous message, be sure to check that the intended recipient's address is showing in the Send To box of your email BEFORE clicking on SEND.
3. Proofread and be sure you want your post public. All posts go in the archives!
WANT TO UNSUBSCRIBE?
Send an email to email@example.com and put unsubscribe in the subject and body and nothing else.